Did you mean: 

What made you decide....

tag
jadeite788
Established Contributor

What made you decide....

This was the home for you.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
honeybear1
New Contributor

Re: What made you decide....

It ticked off most of our boxes. It also had features that we never thought we would be able to get in our price range (like a fenced yard, master bath and basement). It also looks very similar to my childhood home, minus a bedroom and the kitchen is smaller... so I really did walk in and say "I'm home" Smiley Very Happy We really did luck out with "our" house (still in usda underwriting).... The sellers have a job transfer to chicago and they want OUT... and priced it to sell... they could have gotten more for it, but it would have been right out of our price range. 

Message 2 of 17
Lemontwist4
Frequent Contributor

I honestly didn't even want to go see this house. I had already seen well over 50 homes and my husband had a complaint about every single one of them! However, we were already in the neighborhood looking at other houses and my realtor said we might as well look at it if nothing else we will be able to compare other homes in the same price range. I had a house picked out that I already liked okay so when I walked into this one I was mad really mad because I couldn't find anything I hated about it. It just felt like home I was instantly comfortable in it but I had fought with my husband to get the other one for so long so I wasn't happy that I liked it so much. So I asked for another viewing, and I asked for yet another viewing this time with my husband who I thought for sure would hate it and he loved it. So that was it we did our inspection which I stayed there the whole 3 hours for and if all goes well we will get USDA approval next week and close the week after. I can't explain it when I say it felt like home it really just felt like ours already.

Sent to USDA on August 14th 2013 Approved September 5th CLOSED September 9th!!!!!
Message 3 of 17
newhouse2013
Regular Contributor

It had almost everything I was looking for in a home (except for the fireplace) and was on the lower end of my budget. When I went back for the inspection I fell in love with it all over again. Since I started looking I have been telling myself since that if a house doesn't work out then it wasn't meant to be but if we don't get this house it will break my heart because it feels like it is meant just for us. 

Starting Score: 529
Current Score: EQF 643, TU 677 EXP 631,Lender Pulled Aug 2, 2013 EX 665, TU 664 and EQF 643
Goal Score: 701

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 17
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Mainly the price.  It ticked the important boxes of size, bedrooms, bathrooms, and area of town.  What got me to get it was the price, less than 50% of build price and it had an almost new heatpump.  It needs a little work here and there but for the deal I got I couldn't turn it down. 

Message 5 of 17
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@jadeite788 wrote:

This was the home for you.

I walked in, and knew

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 17
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

Kinda what lemontwist said - my husband liked it, LOL.

We have been looking on and off for 4 years, and my husband has like nothing.  We must have looked at 60 houses at least.

We drove by this one - a FSBO.  Husband stopped, went and knocked the door.  The owner said we could look at the back yard and first floor there and then, and then come and see the rest the next day.  Looking round the yard, DH said to me, "I don't even need to look inside."   Erm, I did!

He just LOVED it.  I love it too, but I don't LOVE it.  It's the best neighbourhood in the town, and the best street in that neighbourhood.  It has a nice yard, that 4th bedroom we need, fireplace, attched garage, beautiful front porch asnd back deck.  It doesn't have a dishwasher, 2nd bathroom, and is *small*.  But it has a walk up attic that we will convert to a gorgeous master suite.  So that will add square footage and value.

We looked at my dream house about 2 years ago, and viewed it 3 times.  It sold for less than this current house and was almost twice the size.  Just not a great neighbourhood though.  Broke my heart when DH wouldn't go for it, and I haven't felt that pitter-pat about any house before or since.  But in hindsight it would be too big for our needs. 

I love the house we've chosen - if house hunting has taught me anything it's that I can work with a place, almost any place.  I have been ready to buy for years now, and will be able to make anything that is mine work for me.

Oh, and the house does have a very peaceful, restful vibe.  I wouldn't be scared to go down in that basement at night.  It's a friendly house.

Current scores: EQ 736, TU - 732
Message 7 of 17
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Location.

It's not our dream home, but I grew up in the area and can't get myself to leave. We are less than 7 miles from work, school, college, and family. There's no question that this is where we need to be right now. Can't really afford a single family home in this particular town without a huge down payment, so we're settling for a townhouse. Maybe when my 3-year-old graduates high school, we'll move. Or if my college boy wants to buy this townhouse from us down the road, he can.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 8 of 17
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

The house we are hoping to close on was not even on my list to see! I told the realtor NO forclosures. We were seeing the house next door, but the realtor said we had to be prepared to make an offer that day because they had just had one the night before. DH and I had said that morning we were not making any decisions that day. Period. However, my heart broke when the realtor said that because I wanted that house since the second it was on the market!

Anyways, the house next door was a forclosure that had just been put on the market. I went in kicking and screamingly, but had to humor my husband. He walked in and instantly fell in love. We have 5 kids so we needed something very spacious, but our 175k budget didn't allow for much of that! This home has 4 bedrooms, a huge bonus room, fenced yard, and most importantly....2800sq ft! All the other homes were about 2k sq ft. I did still want the house next door, but it sold for more than what we paid, gas less rooms, and 600sq ft less than the home we got. I have now grown to love the home, but it will take some TLC. It's hard to see homes beautifully decorated and well taken care of and then an open, dirty, dark forclosure.

I have no doubt we made the right decision, but it wasn't an instant feeling for me. But was for my husband.
Message 9 of 17
jeffg330
Regular Contributor

+1
Just like Dallasloanguy said. DW and I both new almost as soon as we walked in after looking at MANY houses over 6 months. Just felt like home

Starting Score: EQ 609 EX 570 TU 656 March 2012 CH 7 BK 12/08
Current Score: EQ 691 EX 694 TU 713
Goal Score: all 3 700's.
Quicksilver $5000 Discover IT $1500 Barclays NFL $1250 Walmart $1500 CL Applied Bank $300 (secured)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

In the Garden till 12/14
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.