Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What mortgage based on income?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What mortgage based on income?

I'm sorry if this is redundant. I'm trying to figure out how much house people go with based on their salary. For example I make 150k but have a child support payment so I went with a 400k house to stay in a comfortable range.

I want to sell my house and a buy a new one in a few years with my new wife and have a "forever home". I expect to be making around 200k between the two of us and my cold support payment will go away for one child. No other debt or auto loans. Just an $800 a month CS payment for one child. Taxes are high in my area. Around 15k a year. Would it be to much to take on a 550k mortgage with 5% down? We have a healthy savings and parents with $ to help us if we got in a jam. Sorry for the long post. I saw an article online that sparked my interest and I was wondering everyone's opinion. One typical rule of thumb is 2.5 salary for a comfortable mortgage or 25% of income or something right?

Thanks!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What mortgage based on income?

*child *too lol
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your DTI should have plenty of breathing room with your income and that mortgage payment. Just make sure to check your county's loan limits.

Message 3 of 5
Anne1208
Regular Contributor

My husband and I are going with 2.25 times our income (no child support payments here, but rather - student loan payments). We have a household income of $175,000 and just bought a house for $392,500.  We were looking in the $425k or less range (so, almost 2.5 times), so about what you are doing relative to your income. If you get to $200K then $550k should be very doable (a big factor also is property taxes - ours are only 1.1% so $4000 ish a year).  

Starting Score: January 2014 Experian: 713 Equifax: 668 Transunion: 691
December 2015 Score: Experian: 766 Equifax: 751 Transunion: 759
October 2018 Score: Transunion:735

Goal Score: 800’s across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
leahkline86
New Contributor

We will make approximately $130,000 this year. We are purchasing a home and the loan amount will be $380,000. We have 4 children. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.