cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What must my home appraise for (VA loan)?

tag
treski
Frequent Contributor

What must my home appraise for (VA loan)?

Hello!

I am having a bit of confusion.  So let me give you my details:

New construction home that finished in December 2014...so I guess that makes it existing.  ;-)

List price:  $209,300

Seller (builder) will not accept less because...brand-new home.

I need closing costs paid by seller.  Roughly $6,000

Our offer:  $215,300

Our earnest amount:  $1,000

I'm just confused about how much exactly it needs to appraise at if I want to pay nothing out-of-pocket at closing.

Thanks!

NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa $25k, USAA MC $3.5k, USAA Amex $3.5k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Re: What must my home appraise for (VA loan)?

@treski wrote:

Hello!

I am having a bit of confusion.  So let me give you my details:

New construction home that finished in December 2014...so I guess that makes it existing.  ;-)

List price:  $209,300

Seller (builder) will not accept less because...brand-new home.

I need closing costs paid by seller.  Roughly $6,000

Our offer:  $215,300

Our earnest amount:  $1,000

I'm just confused about how much exactly it needs to appraise at if I want to pay nothing out-of-pocket at closing.

Thanks!

The red combined, less any down payment (I'm assuming it's just the $1K) is what the mortgage would be for, so it must appraise for at least that much - $220,300.

Message 2 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Appraisal must be contract price or more. You offered 215k with 6k of closing costs, so $215k. What is your market like now? Sellers market or not?
Message 3 of 5
treski
Frequent Contributor

Sellers market most definitely. Hopefully mine appraises, as it's new construction on 1/3 acre. I hope that carries weight. There are many homes in the same area with much smaller lots that are 30-40 years old...and I don't know what they have sold for but they are certainly listed much higher than mine.
NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa $25k, USAA MC $3.5k, USAA Amex $3.5k
Message 4 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

The appraiser will have to use similar sold comps to your newly built home. If there is an appraisal issue, just go back to the seller/builder and renegotiate the price. Sometimes this is possible, sometimes the seller/builder is not willing to negotiate. Even in a seller's market it is possible to renegotiate the price in the face of an appraisal that falls short of the contract price.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.