cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's keeping me from qualifying and holding my scores down?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's keeping me from qualifying and holding my scores down?

What's keeping me from qualifying for a home and holding my scores down?

I want to buy a home in the next couple of months and this is what I have, income 43000.I want to do fha loan for around 125,000.

Car Loan 470.00 mo. owe 15,000  3- 30 day late (oct,07/Dec.07/Jan. 08) sending gw for lates

AU on home Depot card bal 2400. Credit limit 3600.never late

1 medical in collection for 365. Sent letter to settle and remove

2 old collection (palisade) one was settled a yr ago and the other I sent letter for PFD are due to drop of 11/09

personal loan paid off this month (3900.00)on time, never late - has not updated for March

What else should I do?  thanks for any advise.

equifax      595 (score watch as of 3/27)

experian    525 (from their site pulled 3/26)

transunion 646 (from this site pulled 3/26)

Thanks,

Jeff

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SanDiegoEngineer
Regular Contributor

Re: What's keeping me from qualifying and holding my scores down?

A number of factors are hurting your scores, most of which you can do little or nothing about.

1)  30 days late's - those won't necessarily disqualify you from a mortgage (if they had occurred in the past year, they probably would), but they are harming your scores.  A GW letter is really your only option.

2)  collections - in fact, by settling with one of them, you may have harmed your score - while it will drop-off at it's scheduled time, the only data displayed is what is called the Date of Last Activity (DOLA).  By settling that collection, the DOLA would have updated to the settlement date, and it winds up looking like a more recent collection than it actually is (both to the FICO scoring system and to the lenders).

3)  Credit usage.  You're at 67% usage on your revolving credit.  This is one factor you can quickly do something about to get points.  Pay it down to 10% or below and you should see a significant increase in your scores.

4)  FICO likes to see different types of cards.  If your only credit card is a store card, it would help to have a VISA/MC type card.  However, if you're planning on buying soon, applying for and receiving a card would initially likely lower your score (temporarily), so it's probably not a good idea now (it would have been a good idea a year or two ago).

It is possible you could get the points you need by simply paying your CC down to a low utilization.  Hard to tell, as you have wide variance in your scores. 

Good luck,

SD Engineer

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you think if I pay down the cc and get the collections deleted, that would help pull the scores up?

Thanks so much for your help

Message 3 of 7
SanDiegoEngineer
Regular Contributor

It would definitely pull the score up.  How much isn't known, and given that you appear to only have one true FICO score listed (TU's), I can't really tell how many points you actually need.  It's possible that just dropping the CC utilization would do it (I gained a bit over 20 points in a single month by dropping my utilization from 40% to 5% - your utilization is even higher than mine).
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just an AU on that cc account, do lenders take that in to consideration? Should I have my name removed from it? It's the only revolving credit I have. Not sure if it's helping or hurting me(scores). Also, if I pull my score from Equifax web site is that a true score? I have the score watch that's not a real score?

Thanks for you help

Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Keep that AU account open, Removing it will hurt your scores. Even though an AU, try to pay it down below 10%.

Your EQ score pulled directly from EQ is a FICO score. EQ and FICO partnered up. SW is a product of FICO and EQ and tracks your EQ FICO.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have 1500. in a savings account and 6000. in a 401k does that help the ratio?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.