Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your experience/opinion?

tag
bbb925
Regular Contributor

What's your experience/opinion?

I'm buying a new build that won't be completed until mid-October. I signed the contract last weekend. I'm preapproved with NFCU for their 5/5 arm. The builder rep sent me an email asking for my preapproval. I emailed it back last night.
He just sent me another email asking who my loan officer is and their contact info as it wasn't listed on the preapproval. They need it so that they have it to close.
I sent back an email saying that I am not starting the loan process until we are 30 days out because I'm doing a 30 day rate lock. We are still 60 days out and the builder is concerned that my hardwood floors won't be completed in time because the hardwood is on backorder. So he's already sweating that and that may delay us a little further.
I won't be assigned a loan officer until I actually apply for the loan which I haven't actually done yet.

My question is, is it not normal for loans to be started 30 days out? Why would I start the process early when they even state in their contract that they aren't responsible for rate lock changes due to delays. I also want to pay off all my debt when I receive my equity this week to get the best rate possible. And that won't be reflected if I apply this early.
Can someone shed some light on why they would be needing all the info so far in advance? Is this situation out of the norm? Can they cancel my contract if I don't apply yet? I did give them a $5000 EMD as well.
On my last new build purchase they didn't ask for it until we were 3 weeks out from closing so I'm a little confused about it.

Please advise.
Thank you! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: What's your experience/opinion?

@bbb925 wrote:
I'm buying a new build that won't be completed until mid-October. I signed the contract last weekend. I'm preapproved with NFCU for their 5/5 arm. The builder rep sent me an email asking for my preapproval. I emailed it back last night.
He just sent me another email asking who my loan officer is and their contact info as it wasn't listed on the preapproval. They need it so that they have it to close.
I sent back an email saying that I am not starting the loan process until we are 30 days out because I'm doing a 30 day rate lock. We are still 60 days out and the builder is concerned that my hardwood floors won't be completed in time because the hardwood is on backorder. So he's already sweating that and that may delay us a little further.
I won't be assigned a loan officer until I actually apply for the loan which I haven't actually done yet.

My question is, is it not normal for loans to be started 30 days out? Why would I start the process early when they even state in their contract that they aren't responsible for rate lock changes due to delays. I also want to pay off all my debt when I receive my equity this week to get the best rate possible. And that won't be reflected if I apply this early.
Can someone shed some light on why they would be needing all the info so far in advance? Is this situation out of the norm? Can they cancel my contract if I don't apply yet? I did give them a $5000 EMD as well.
On my last new build purchase they didn't ask for it until we were 3 weeks out from closing so I'm a little confused about it.

Please advise.
Thank you! Smiley Happy

If you are 60 days from closing it is not too far out at all to have already offically applied for your loan. In fact, I think it is unusual that the builder would have accepted your offer to purchase without having made application for approval by his lender or another lender.

It is not normal at all to not have your pre-approval in hand with all your documents sent to the lender via a LO that you made application with for this loan.  

Take a look at your contract. There usually is a date within the 'financing' paragraph by which you have to make official application before you are in default. What does your date say? It normally is stated something like "within _____ days of effective date buyer shall make application for financing....."

Message 2 of 13
bbb925
Regular Contributor

It said within 30 days get your financing That's why I was kind of thrown off. Them needing the preapproval was fine with me but they gave us 30 days and are already asking for it. That's what is confusing to me. I need to pay off all debt this week and then it will report beginning of September than I was going to apply. Is that going to be an issue now?
Message 3 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

No, they have given you 30 days to get your financing - not 30 days to apply. Clarify with your builders rep or your agent.

Message 4 of 13
bbb925
Regular Contributor

I just heard back. He said our approval that I gave them was all they needed. He said not to worry about anything else. The preapproval had to be furnished within 30 days not the final loan approval and I already did that. So I'm back to good! Smiley Happy He said just to send them the loan officer info whenever I get it next month. Thanks for the help!
Message 5 of 13
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

how did you get an approval without applying?

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 13
bbb925
Regular Contributor

NFCU did it. They did the preapproval based on their info. I have a substantial savings with them and do all business with them. But I wanted to pay off debt first to get the best rate they offer. She said I am approved based on what she saw with my accounts. I have a large 401k and the money I have in savings would pay for the house if need be so that might be why??
Holy moly, is that not normal protocol? They did the same thing on my last home too. They gave me my preapproval before actually applying. Then when I applied I sent all documents requested and my loan closed in 30 days as requested. Is this normally done differently?
Message 7 of 13
bbb925
Regular Contributor

With the responses I've received I'm starting to get nervous. It seems what I'm experiencing isn't the "norm". Why would it be different for me than what others are experiencing? Do you think the preapproval they sent was by mistake? Or do you think because they can do what they want being they write the loan they feel secure with what they see about me without pulling my credit? I sent her the credit scores from myfico so that she wouldn't pull my credit yet. She agreed that paying my utilization down would take me into stellar credit scores. Am I missing something?
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bbb925 wrote:
With the responses I've received I'm starting to get nervous. It seems what I'm experiencing isn't the "norm". Why would it be different for me than what others are experiencing? Do you think the preapproval they sent was by mistake? Or do you think because they can do what they want being they write the loan they feel secure with what they see about me without pulling my credit? I sent her the credit scores from myfico so that she wouldn't pull my credit yet. She agreed that paying my utilization down would take me into stellar credit scores. Am I missing something?

You are prequalified, not preapproved.  Preapproval is based on information submitted in the loan application.   Approved is based on information submitted on the loan application with supporting documents.   

Message 9 of 13
bbb925
Regular Contributor

But my document states "preapproved" not "prequalified". So that's why I'm confused. And the builder said what I gave them was what they wanted. I'm not going to complain. If there's a mistake it's working to my benefit right now being I want to pay off the debt first before applying. Maybe the good Lord is helping me outSmiley Happy I'm not going to question anything else now that I know it's not normal.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.