Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 155
Registered: ‎05-13-2012
0

Re: What they are looking for in appraisal?

FHA will require certain repairs yes, just because they wont allow certain safety issues, such as chipping paint in older houses, mold issues, wet basements etc. But other repairs no they will not require if you are borrowing less then the house is worth without the repairs.

Established Contributor
Posts: 554
Registered: ‎03-13-2011
0

Re: What they are looking for in appraisal?


jules0580 wrote:

FHA will require certain repairs yes, just because they wont allow certain safety issues, such as chipping paint in older houses, mold issues, wet basements etc. But other repairs no they will not require if you are borrowing less then the house is worth without the repairs.


Ok, that makes me feel better. The house is pretty much up to code, it has tenants in it so nothing major ir wrong with it besides the wiring and deck. I think I have eased my fears somewhat!

WM TransUnion- 650 (6/2014) Credit Sesame Experian- 691 (6/2014) Credit Karma TransUnion- 665 (6/2014)
Amex Zync/UNICORN- NPSL/Capital One Venture One Pro -$7,000/NFCU Cash Rewards- $7,500/NFCU NavChek- $5,000/SouthWest Airlines- $5,000/Capital One Quicksilver Platinum- $3,000/Wal-Mart Discover- $6,000/Bill Me Later- $2,200/JCP- $4,700/Discover IT- $500/Care Credit -$2,300/Old Navy Visa- $2,000/New York & Company - $1,000/Capital One -$800
GOALS: No new inqs until 10/30/14. Pay off debt consolidation loan in less than 1 year. Snowball debt payments.
Last HP: 3/5/14
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,889
Registered: ‎05-24-2011
0

Re: What they are looking for in appraisal?

I believe repairs must be done by a certified person, but I have heard of buyers "breaking into" the property in the middle of the night to repair stuff before the appraiser comes for obvious issues that will need repaired. 

 

What is the correct answer on who can do repairs?

 

And remember, if repairs Are needed, the appraiser has to come back out and check - this kinda thing can definitely delay the closing.  Some of it is just pure silliness, but the safety stuff makes sense.

 

Also - when buying a house as is from a bank, do you think they really would consider lowering the price for appraisal repairs?

 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Established Contributor
Posts: 554
Registered: ‎03-13-2011
0

Re: What they are looking for in appraisal?


Booner72 wrote:

I believe repairs must be done by a certified person, but I have heard of buyers "breaking into" the property in the middle of the night to repair stuff before the appraiser comes for obvious issues that will need repaired. 

 

What is the correct answer on who can do repairs?

 

And remember, if repairs Are needed, the appraiser has to come back out and check - this kinda thing can definitely delay the closing.  Some of it is just pure silliness, but the safety stuff makes sense.

 

Also - when buying a house as is from a bank, do you think they really would consider lowering the price for appraisal repairs?

 


That's a good question! Anyone have any answers??

WM TransUnion- 650 (6/2014) Credit Sesame Experian- 691 (6/2014) Credit Karma TransUnion- 665 (6/2014)
Amex Zync/UNICORN- NPSL/Capital One Venture One Pro -$7,000/NFCU Cash Rewards- $7,500/NFCU NavChek- $5,000/SouthWest Airlines- $5,000/Capital One Quicksilver Platinum- $3,000/Wal-Mart Discover- $6,000/Bill Me Later- $2,200/JCP- $4,700/Discover IT- $500/Care Credit -$2,300/Old Navy Visa- $2,000/New York & Company - $1,000/Capital One -$800
GOALS: No new inqs until 10/30/14. Pay off debt consolidation loan in less than 1 year. Snowball debt payments.
Last HP: 3/5/14
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,691
Registered: ‎07-29-2009
0

Re: What they are looking for in appraisal?

Per my real estate appraiser husband....

 

Potential buyers and home sellers often perform the required repairs. In many cases, one side will buy the materials and the other will perform the labor, helping to share the burden and cost.

 

That said, items such as a roofing inspection must be done by a qualified inspector. Also, in many states there are statutes as to who can perform plumbing or electrical repairs. Painting and cosmetic repairs can be done by anyone.

 

(Hint: Don't just paint over flaking paint. Many appraisers will require that you start over and do it again...causing the expense to both buyer and appraiser of another trip to the property for a 2nd final inspection.)

Established Contributor
Posts: 554
Registered: ‎03-13-2011
0

Re: What they are looking for in appraisal?


Jazzzy wrote:

Per my real estate appraiser husband....

 

Potential buyers and home sellers often perform the required repairs. In many cases, one side will buy the materials and the other will perform the labor, helping to share the burden and cost.

 

That said, items such as a roofing inspection must be done by a qualified inspector. Also, in many states there are statutes as to who can perform plumbing or electrical repairs. Painting and cosmetic repairs can be done by anyone.

 

(Hint: Don't just paint over flaking paint. Many appraisers will require that you start over and do it again...causing the expense to both buyer and appraiser of another trip to the property for a 2nd final inspection.)


You guys ar such a wealth of information! That's great information! I'm feeling better and better about this appraisal coming back and me being able to handle it, just hope they get the price right!

WM TransUnion- 650 (6/2014) Credit Sesame Experian- 691 (6/2014) Credit Karma TransUnion- 665 (6/2014)
Amex Zync/UNICORN- NPSL/Capital One Venture One Pro -$7,000/NFCU Cash Rewards- $7,500/NFCU NavChek- $5,000/SouthWest Airlines- $5,000/Capital One Quicksilver Platinum- $3,000/Wal-Mart Discover- $6,000/Bill Me Later- $2,200/JCP- $4,700/Discover IT- $500/Care Credit -$2,300/Old Navy Visa- $2,000/New York & Company - $1,000/Capital One -$800
GOALS: No new inqs until 10/30/14. Pay off debt consolidation loan in less than 1 year. Snowball debt payments.
Last HP: 3/5/14
Highlighted
Established Member
Posts: 42
Registered: ‎03-20-2012
0

Re: What they are looking for in appraisal?

I know this post is about a month old, but I wanted to add what happened when we needed our repairs. The sellers would not pay the repairs, so we added the total price to our loan. We had to use a Fannie Mae approved inspector (per USDA requirements) and they did the work up front. Speaking of - we actually had chipping paint issues too. This, however, was on the front porch where someone had painted the concrete. It was painted over and we were fine. Probably because the paint was so old that you couldn't tell there was paint on it to begin with. Lol. Hopefully you have your appraisal worked out by now. If not, best of luck!

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.