Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to Bring to Closing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to Bring to Closing

What is actually needed to bring to closing?  I know I'll have a cashier's check in hand but I don't know if there's anything else.  Driver's license or ID? Tissue for my inevitable blubbering? Cushioned pen to help hold off any hand cramps?  As I'm packing up my house, I'm trying to run through it all in my head to make sure I don't get a last minute request for something that is packed away.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What to Bring to Closing

Everything you listed is all you need.   Closing is not some  time consuming  event that many post on this site.  People  overly exaggerate their experience.  My closing took less than 30 minutes.   And many of the papers I signed was a repeat of papers that were signed during the initial application.  My Lender wanted  original signatures during closing.    Also, my closing took place in my office at 9pm.  We were done by 9:30pm   

Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: What to Bring to Closing

@Anonymous wrote:

Everything you listed is all you need.   Closing is not some  time consuming  event that many post on this site.  People  overly exaggerate their experience.  My closing took less than 30 minutes.   And many of the papers I signed was a repeat of papers that were signed during the initial application.  My Lender wanted  original signatures during closing.    Also, my closing took place in my office at 9pm.  We were done by 9:30pm   

Weatherguy, you had a different closing because you purchased an REO property so you didn't have to close in normal business hours like most closings.

What is different about your closing is that it doesn't fund the same day and you don't get the keys or a copy of the deed until the closing is processed by the title company. Your description above is a perfect description of what is referred to as a "mail away" closing.  You had your signing, but the actual paperwork was processed by the title co once it was received by the title company the next business day.  Nothing wrong with it, just that the process is slightly different because the processing and funding of the closing is completed the next business day. It is similar to the type of escrow closings that are performed in the 9 escrow states.

In a "wet state" or "table funding state" the closing will occur during normal business hours and the buyer will get keys and a copy of the deed right then and there unless it is a dry closing. Occasionally it will take until the next day only if the funds are delayed, usually as a result of a holiday. The seller gets his funds right there too unless it is a dry closing then the exchange of keys and deed for money happens the next business day.

Bring two forms of ID to the closing. Some lenders only require one form, others require two. One of the forms has to be a photo ID like a drivers license or state ID, the other one doesn't normally have to have your photo, just your name. It is not advisable to use a credit card as the second form just from an ID safety point of view.

If you have wired in your closing funds prior to closing bring a copy of the wire receipt. Here our title companies and attorney's no longer accept cashiers checks, only wires from the buyer. It seems to vary by locale.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.