Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to expect at Closing

tag
rangergirl
Established Member

What to expect at Closing

I am supposed to close on 7/9 (assuming underwriting and conditions go smoothly).  Can anyone tell me what to expect at closing?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What to expect at Closing

Expect writer's cramp.

IME, we sat down. The seller was there with their agent, and DIL. We also had our agent there, as was our banker. And there were a couple of others in the room representing the Title company, one of which moderated the proceedings. It was our first so we didn't know what to expect either. The seller's side was first, which includes both of us signing the appropriate docs and contracts. Then the seller settled with their lender via docs they had sent over and the Title company explained the process to them with regards to settling their loan. So for the first-half, we mostly twiddled our thumbs, drank free sodas, and chatted with the seller about this and that, traded info, talked politics and religion, etc.

After the seller was taken care of, she handed us the house keys, and was dismissed out of the room with her crew. Then we were in there signing the rest of our life away. They said to prepare for 2 hours, but it took longer. I had taken a semester of contract law at a major law school and the things learned scared me. I thoroughly read everything in great detail before signing it, and asked questions if I didn't understand. Many of the docs I signed at closing I had already signed prior to going into underwriting, so some were a breeze. The final tidbit was to review the math of what was paid, and they said we overpaid by a thousand and told us to stop by the office the next day to grab a check from them. But it went very smoothly, much of which I owe thanks to the folks on here. I felt like a pro from mortgage app to closing.

BTW, from what I understand, YMMV based on state, so the above may not apply just like that.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it true you have to sign your complete legal name (first, middle, last) in a ledgible fashion?

I don't know it I can do that, quite literally!

Message 3 of 7
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it true you have to sign your complete legal name (first, middle, last) in a ledgible fashion?

I don't know it I can do that, quite literally!

I have been signing my name in an unlegible fashion for years. I have just become accustomed to printing my name next to my signature and dating.

My middle name and or middle initial is never included in my signature as I never use or include my middle name and or middle initial. I do not even have a government issued (drivers license, passport, social security card, etc etc) that includes my middle name and or initial.

I think as far as how you sign any legal document it must match how your name is stated in the legal document. Which would mean if the contract has your middle name and or middle initial your signature must also include it. I would check with a legal professional before I would accept my opinion or any one elses opinion on your legal signature.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 4 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

One thing that you could consider if you are using an attorney is letting him/her do all the signing via POA at closing for you.    That way you don't even have to show up.  Smiley Wink

I did this once, when I was dealing with a VERY difficult buyer.   It turned out to be money well spent, as it ended up saving me a lot of frustration and time;  the buyer complained, argued, and dragged his feet.....dragging out the closing almost a full day.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 7
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

One thing that you could consider if you are using an attorney is letting him/her do all the signing via POA at closing for you.    That way you don't even have to show up.  Smiley Wink

I did this once, when I was dealing with a VERY difficult buyer.   It turned out to be money well spent, as it ended up saving me a lot of frustration and time;  the buyer complained, argued, and dragged his feet.....dragging out the closing almost a full day.  

Good idea; as I am about fed up with the process. Smiley Frustrated

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 7
rangergirl
Established Member

Thank you!  At least now I know what to expect. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.