Did you mean: 

When can I feel safe

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: When can I feel safe

@Sbrooks1 wrote:
I don't see that anywhere, only mention regarding title is act if sale

I don't know what that means. You are buying real estate and it doesn't discuss escrow and title and closing in the contract?  That doesn't make sense.

Message 11 of 13
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

I read the whole thing twice, it talks about act of sale
Message 12 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Sbrooks1 wrote:
I read the whole thing twice, it talks about act of sale

Every state has their own "standard" forms that the Realtors use. Sometimes there is more than one standard form.  In addition to that, builders have totally different contracts (each builder and each community). Naturally, attorney's can and do write different contracts if they decide to not use the state forms. So the specifics are different.

In general  you will have (brief notations here, not complete by any means):

• Indentifying the parties to the contract and the real estate being sold by address & legal description + any non-realty items included such as appliances
  • Purchase price & closing date
  • Financing - details and contingency if the contract is subject to financing
  • Inspections - contingency if the contract is subject to an inspection period
  • Disclosures - standard by geographic area - some are federal like lead based paint or energy efficiency
  • Title Insurance - due dates and who is to pay
  • Seller duties, Buyer duties and escrow agent duties
  • Seller default definitions and buyer default definitions
  • Standards and dispute resolutions
  • Plus any addenda that may be specific to your purchase (HOA for example)

The title information can be in its own paragraph or under the standards.  Your contract may not have such a paragraph. I don't know your contract at all. But the contract defines the duties of all the parties - including closing agents and escrow agents and that is where the due dates for the title insurance commitment will be located. In any event, lenders want to make sure that the property on which they are making a loan is free and clear of any defects so they require a title commitment before you get your final clear to close.  Since you are very close to closing now, the closing attorney or title company (whoever is closing your purchase) should have that info by now. Just call them. They can email it to you. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.