cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did you start to pack??? When did you give notice to management abut leaving your rental?

tag
buyhouse36
Regular Contributor

When did you start to pack??? When did you give notice to management abut leaving your rental?

Our timeline to date is:

Dec 30: submitted offer w/ automated preapproval letter

Jan 2 : offer accepted and signed off....for less than amount pre-approved for

Jan 6: inspection...nothing major to fight over

Jan 6: file submitted to UW

Jan 7: employment verification called my job

Jan 7: submitted ins quote

Jan 9: Cleared to order appraisal...had to pay

Jan 13: Received conditions from closing coordinator...updated bank statements, letter from my husband about having access to our bank accounts...I am buying this on my own...I have better scores 720+ plus easier income to verify...W2...no major conditions

Jan 15: appraisal done at 1pm

Jan 16: faxed all documents except one...copy of a cancelled check from IRA...I withdrew some for downpayment. Will have that by Tuesday

I have ZERO worries about appraisal because I got a steal...desperate sellers.

So is it safe to start packing? Can I provide notice to our apartment management office? If I give them notice today its 6 weeks to Feb 28...then I will not have to pay March rent. The new  place needs a little updating....which would take 2 weeks. I dont want to move in until its done. Current closing date is "no later than Feb 7".

Am I safe to give notice and start packing?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: When did you start to pack??? When did you give notice to management abut leaving your rental?

Everything looks good. However, I would wait until the u/w has given you the complete approval to notify your Landlord. You can start to pack now. At the rate your file is moving you should have a loan commitment by mid next week, right? What does your LO say?

Message 2 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: When did you start to pack??? When did you give notice to management abut leaving your rental?

Given that it's probably cheaper crashing at some random motel for a week along with either short-term storage or just renting the truck an additional couple of days than a months rent, may be worth just putting in the notice anyway.  Certainly would be in my case, in cheaper areas, maybe not so much.

        
Message 3 of 5
drift3r

I waited until I had the clear to close on my house before I put in notice at my apartment. I didn't want any last minute hitches to leave me without a place to live. I close next week and I will start packing today. :-)

My Scores as of May 20, 2015
Experian - 757
Trans - 769
Equifax - 754

Message 4 of 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I recommend waiting until your lender issues a clear to close. You can start packing anytime ... giving lease termination notice is what I'm addressing. I sell new construction and I can't tell you how often people "jump the gun" and then scream when their closing is delayed. I've had people beg me for permission to stor their containers on the purchased property [No!] and get mad at me for their actions. Wait for the clear to close or be prepared with backup housing arrangements.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.