Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to apply

tag
RABQUE
Regular Contributor

When to apply

I wanted to get some advice…Here is my situation….I really want to buy a house this year (before Dec 1)….I started a couple of years ago by cleaning up my credit…I currently have 1 collection (medical 2006-in duspute) on my Transunion and Equifax and 3 on Experian (2 Medical 2006 and another non medical which falls off Feb 2010)

My Scores are TU-671, EQ 667, and EX 668 (From February); .My credit card debt is down to 12% utilization….I plan to have that down to 6.5% in two weeks, which will hopefully boost my score…

I am currently living with a roommate and I am not on the lease. The lease expires in September, I would love to stay there until then and use that time to save my down payment money….For that last 3 months I haven’t saved any money because I used it to pay down my credit cards…I had two cards with a balance on January 1st, one card had a balance of $4,100 and another (dept store) with a balance of 2100 as of today the first card is down to 700 and the dept store card is down to four hundred.

My first question is when should I seriously start looking? In addition, when should I apply and have them run my credit?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: When to apply

What type of financing are you going to apply for, FHA, conventional, USDA, etc?  I would wait until you resolve the collection issues and have at least some money in savings.  There have been some on here that have stated they were denied or having problems obtaining financing because the credit report showed there were disputes.  Have everything resolved that you plan on.  It is much easier to get credit approved with the condition of showing funds then it is having money but credit issues (if that made any sense! lol)

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 5
RABQUE
Regular Contributor

I I plan to go FHA....I figure it could take about 3 months to save a portion of the down payment and the rest would be a gift from one of the local programs.
Message 3 of 5
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

You don't want to apply to early or your documents may expire and then it will be like starting over.  If you plan on closing in September then I would suggest applying approximately 60 days prior to.  That should give you plenty of time to get your credit approval and start looking at properties.  About 90 days out, I would contact your local housing authority or a lender who works with the housing authority and ask them the turnaround time on their program.  This would be the one thing that could hold up the process is if they are very slow.  Also, with FHA, they probably won't even make you pay the medical collections because they are so old but that is also going to depend on the amount owed on them.  You may want to work on getting those resolved outside of using the CRA's.  That way they won't show as disputes on your credit report.  I would go check out the medical board

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 5
RABQUE
Regular Contributor

One medical collection is $75 and the other is $129. I am already working on getting it resolved and i am hoping to have it deleted soon.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.