cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to buy a house (one of the couple with a past bankruptcy)?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to buy a house (one of the couple with a past bankruptcy)?

Greetings all. My fiance' and I are finally discussing setting a date. This will involve her selling her home and the two of us setting up house at a midpoint currently between us. She has a credit score in the low-mid 700s, with no lates, long credit histories, etc.

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in June of 2007 (discharged August 2007). No home was involved and I reaffirmed the only auto loan I had. I have since established 4 credit card accounts, 1 new car loan (6.19%APR) and have had no lates, overcharges, etc. Two of the credit cards are over two years old, one is 18 months and the car loan is 8 months old. My last credit report showed scores of 614/634/661.

My question is, when do we purchase a home? If we wait until we are married will my past bankruptcy adversely affect a new mortgage in a severe degree? Would we be better for my fiancé' to purchase a home before we're married?  We live 82 miles apart and are discussing getting married before she sells her home and we find another one. However, if she needs to purchase the home before we're married this will put that idea on hold.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Kevin

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to buy a house (one of the couple with a past bankruptcy)?

My advice to you..   Wait until your married..    Not for credit reasons or the like,  simply because until your married, there is too much risk in buying a house together,  In my humble opinion.
Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: When to buy a house (one of the couple with a past bankruptcy)?

the fha loan requires 2yrs post discharge.... so you are good there.

with the reaffirmed credit, you should be fine.

you should apply and see what you can do now.... whether you wait or not is a personal decision.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.