Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to have home inspection completed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to have home inspection completed?

I am currently in the process of having a home built. As of right now the closing is scheduled to be around December 15th. My appraisal is scheduled Dec. 1. When is the home inspection usually completed? The house is almost completed, the only major thing left is the carpet installation and delivery of my appliances. I have asked both my lender and realtor. They are basically pointing the finger at each other. The lender says the realtor should order it b/c they are able to negotiate if anything is wrong. I agree with the lender. My realtor says the lender usually orders it but she will if she has to, but that it can not be done until the house is completed. Why would the house have to be 100% completed before the inspection? The inspection is going to be completed by the city i live in because I am using their down payment assistance program. I'm afraid that the inspection will not be ordered on time and pushes back my closing in which the builder charges $50 per day.

I am so not happy with my realtor and if I wasn't so close to my house being completed it will be a done deal with her.

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When to have home inspection completed?

Actually, you probably are the one to do it.  The home inspection is suppossed to be a neutral 3rd party inspection and carried out at the behest of the buyer.  The seller will not do this and I would be leary of any seller who offered to order it for you as it is a conflict of interest.  Your realtor MAY give you recommendations of someone they used in the past, but they also don't usually do the inspections part as it is a conflict in their case as well.  The buyer usually orders, pays for, and is present for the home inspection.

Also, it can not be done until the house is done.  Is this not common sense.  The have to test the appliances, check to flooring, all the electrical, etc.  Do you really want them to do this prior to completion of the house?

Message 2 of 3
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: When to have home inspection completed?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently in the process of having a home built. As of right now the closing is scheduled to be around December 15th. My appraisal is scheduled Dec. 1. When is the home inspection usually completed? The house is almost completed, the only major thing left is the carpet installation and delivery of my appliances. I have asked both my lender and realtor. They are basically pointing the finger at each other. The lender says the realtor should order it b/c they are able to negotiate if anything is wrong. I agree with the lender. My realtor says the lender usually orders it but she will if she has to, but that it can not be done until the house is completed. Why would the house have to be 100% completed before the inspection? The inspection is going to be completed by the city i live in because I am using their down payment assistance program. I'm afraid that the inspection will not be ordered on time and pushes back my closing in which the builder charges $50 per day.

I am so not happy with my realtor and if I wasn't so close to my house being completed it will be a done deal with her.

Thanks

Lenders have NOTHING to do with inspections. Lenders order appraisals realtors help with inspections.

Contact the builder to find out when it will be ready for inspection and then get with your realtor - who should know some inspectors and order it.

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.