cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to re-finance?

tag
HarleyMom

When to re-finance?

Hi, I've been a long-time lurker on these boards and have gotten some valuable advice.

Three years ago, all of my scores were in the 500's/low 600's due to many credit cards/high utilization.  Through much persistance and work, I've gotten all of my cc's paid off (over $23k in debt).  In July of this year, i went through a divorce, at which time I purchased a home and obtained my first mortgage all on my own. When I got my 30 year fixed rate mortgage my interest rate was 4.625%, which was high at the time.  I have not closed any of the credit cards, but only use my AMEX and PIF every month on the due date.  I also have a student loan that I'm paying on every month.  Other than the mortgage and student loan, i have no debt.  I've checked this morning and my EX score is 735 (yay!!).  My question is this - what else can i do to boost my scores?  At some point, assuming mortgage interest rates come back down, I'd like to be able to re-fi with a better rate.

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: When to re-finance?

Can you share any of the FICO scoring details from your report?    I'm guessing that you might be able to tweak your utilization a bit to help boost your score.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 7
HarleyMom

What details?

Real estate loan balance - $82759.00

22 Revolving credit cards - balance of $818 showing, which is my AMEX

1 Installment account, which is my SL, balance of $59053.

No collections showing

EX-732/EQ-732/TU-736

Message 3 of 7
HarleyMom

I should add total available credit on all credit cards is $27175.00/some department store/a couple of VISA's and the AMEX which has no preset limit.

Message 4 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@HarleyMom wrote:

What details?

Real estate loan balance - $82759.00

22 Revolving credit cards - balance of $818 showing, which is my AMEX

1 Installment account, which is my SL, balance of $59053.

No collections showing

EX-732/EQ-732/TU-736

When you purchase a FICO score there should be a list of scoring reasons that comes with the report ~ i.e. factors helping / hurting your FICO score

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 7
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

That is a pretty solid rate right now - obviously in the current market you have no incentive to refi - 

If they do come back down you can refinance at any time - continue to work on your scores and elimination of debt - all of that will put you in a much better position when the time comes

Good Luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 6 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@HarleyMom wrote:

Hi, I've been a long-time lurker on these boards and have gotten some valuable advice.

Three years ago, all of my scores were in the 500's/low 600's due to many credit cards/high utilization.  Through much persistance and work, I've gotten all of my cc's paid off (over $23k in debt).  In July of this year, i went through a divorce, at which time I purchased a home and obtained my first mortgage all on my own. When I got my 30 year fixed rate mortgage my interest rate was 4.625%, which was high at the time.  I have not closed any of the credit cards, but only use my AMEX and PIF every month on the due date.  I also have a student loan that I'm paying on every month.  Other than the mortgage and student loan, i have no debt.  I've checked this morning and my EX score is 735 (yay!!).  My question is this - what else can i do to boost my scores?  At some point, assuming mortgage interest rates come back down, I'd like to be able to re-fi with a better rate.

Thanks for your help!

First off, rates on refinancing are higher than on purchasing. You actually have a pretty good rate right now. The guidance I give to folks on timing of refinancing is when the cost of refinancing will be recouped in less than 5 years and you plan to stay in the house much longer than that.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.