cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to start the process with a va loan.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When to start the process with a va loan.

We are about 2 years out from buying a home. 70% disabled vet here. No funding fee, 5k tax exemption in my area. I'm still working on my credit about a year to 18 months and I should be golden. My fico scores are 648ex 648tu 653eq. No idea what my mtg ficos are. My income through va and ssdi is 2338.71 a month and my fiance brings home another 4k a month.

Now to my question, when should we start looking for lenders or brokers and start searching for properties? We truly are a solid 2 years away fom buying so any advice would be appreciated and also som florida friendly lenders or brokers would be great too, thanks in advance. Dv.
16 REPLIES 16
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

Re: When to start the process with a va loan.

@Anonymous wrote:
We are about 2 years out from buying a home. 70% disabled vet here. No funding fee, 5k tax exemption in my area. I'm still working on my credit about a year to 18 months and I should be golden. My fico scores are 648ex 648tu 653eq. No idea what my mtg ficos are. My income through va and ssdi is 2338.71 a month and my fiance brings home another 4k a month.

Now to my question, when should we start looking for lenders or brokers and start searching for properties? We truly are a solid 2 years away fom buying so any advice would be appreciated and also som florida friendly lenders or brokers would be great too, thanks in advance. Dv.

Hi Disabled-Vet,

Why are you waiting 12 - 18 months to buy?

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

We just signed another 12 month lease for october, I have some things falling off my report 10/18, so we figured we would continue working on my credit over the next 18 months or so. We were just wondering since we are going to sign another lease next year when should we get the ball rolling on all this stuff?
Message 3 of 17
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
We just signed another 12 month lease for october, I have some things falling off my report 10/18, so we figured we would continue working on my credit over the next 18 months or so. We were just wondering since we are going to sign another lease next year when should we get the ball rolling on all this stuff?

You should see where you stand now. If you're ready, great all you have to do is wait until your lease is up or see if you can get out of it early.

If you're not ready, a good lender will give you a plan to get you ready when your lease is up.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay how do I see where I stand now? I have my COE already. My credit is still bad that is why we wère waiting so how do I proceed from here?
Message 5 of 17
NC_Mtg_Loaner
Valued Contributor

what's wrong with credit in the mid-600s? 

Did you have a short sale, foreclosure or BK we don't know about?  

Licensed NC Mortgage Loan Originator
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stick to your plan! Two years is plenty of time to get your credit profile ready.  My wife and i ALSO gave us two years to pay off CCs, car loans etc back in 2013 and purchase a home in 2015.  We met our goal and paid everything off, we had $0 debt (yes $0) when we bought and got 3.25%

Our process was quickly and efficient.  We saw about 20 homes here in San Diego before we made a decision.  The loan offer was efficient as well.  It took us about 3 to 4 months from start/looking at homes to finish/move in. I would suggest start looking at homes a least 5 to 6 months before your lease is up.  There will be A LOT of paper work and some you'll have to fetch.  Have everything ready, the loan officer will tell you what to start collecting; paystubs, taxes, employment history, addresses, phone numbers etc etc.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope i had a foreclosure 8 years ago off my reports no judgements , i have 15k in savings. No cc debt, 1. 10k cd secured loan to buy my motorcycle. She has 6k owed on her truck and some collections on her credit as well.

My credit profile.
3 collections 1 will fall off 10/18 the other two I'm paying next month.
1 repo charge off falling off 11/18
1 49$ charge off paid
9 positive tradlines
Discover card 2500
Quicksilver 1300
Suncoast rewards 500
Us bank secured 1000
Nfcu nrewards 500
10k cd secured
Rehabbed navient student loan 3900
Old student loan tradeline 9 lates
Paid off secured loan.
Comenity overstock card 250

Thats my history.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought credit in the mid 600's wasn't great for a.va loan. I'm new to all this. I'm not very educated when it comes to his entired process that is why I am.asking for help.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Nope i had a foreclosure 8 years ago off my reports no judgements , i have 15k in savings. No cc debt, 1. 10k cd secured loan to buy my motorcycle. She has 6k owed on her truck and some collections on her credit as well.

My credit profile.
3 collections 1 will fall off 10/18 the other two I'm paying next month.
1 repo charge off falling off 11/18
1 49$ charge off paid
9 positive tradlines
Discover card 2500
Quicksilver 1300
Suncoast rewards 500
Us bank secured 1000
Nfcu nrewards 500
10k cd secured
Rehabbed navient student loan 3900
Old student loan tradeline 9 lates
Paid off secured loan.
Comenity overstock card 250

Thats my history.

I see now...2 year is must then, until all those negatives fall off.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.