Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Is My Preapproval Letter?

tag
Gardenhand
Regular Contributor

Where Is My Preapproval Letter?

So as some of you may remember I was Preapproved for a FHA loan to buy a home for 120,000. That house is now off the market. Well I have been looking around and the amount I was Preapproved for is going to be a tough price to work with in my area. There is one bank owned property that needs a lot of work. I was looking into an FHA 203K loan. It's in the area I need to be in.

The agent that showed me the house asked if I had a Preapprovel letter that showed how much I am approved for. I do not. This is something I questioned myself. Everything was done verbally over the phone. The agent recommended that I got this letter along with a copy of my report and portfolio. So I emailed my lender to get these documents.

I asked for

preapproval letter with my buying power limit

full portfolio

credit report that he pulled

anything else that will help me shop around

I didn't hear back for over a week. So I called him only to find out that he no longer works at the company that he use to. He just started a new job. Now he is saying that he will need to pull my credit AGAIN!! I said I don't want my credit pulled again and he went on to say that he can tell me what my limit is without pulling my credit as long as I know all of my payments and other financial information.

Now I realize that this can be a transient business and I myself have been known to jump around. I like the guy. I'm flexible. But I feel like I should have gotten this letter from the door. At this point I know I was approved for 120,000 with him at his last job. Another lender I was chatting with about a 203k FHA loan says he thinks I may be able to go up as high as 150,000 with the info I provided, without pulling credit. 

I'm still looking for a house to buy. In my range in my area if and when one pops up I'm going to need to move quickly. I feal like i need and deserve this letter including my buying power limit, in hand. Should I be calling his last company demanding this letter? Or should I stay cool during his transition into his new job?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Where Is My Preapproval Letter?

Keep in mind that credit/preapproval are good for only about 90 days max. If it has not been 90 days sine you received the preapproval letter, then just call someone else at that lender and have them "refresh" your preapproval letter for you. Also note that not every lender gives you a copy of the credit report that they pull on an applicant.

Message 2 of 4
Gardenhand
Regular Contributor

I never received a physical letter. So I'm guessing I can just call and get my initial letter. Thank you.

Message 3 of 4
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

I believe you realtor can make contact with your lender to obtain a pre-approval letter. Mine was emailed to me and my realtor the same day I was pre-approved. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.