cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are these people getting 5% down conventional loans?

tag
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Where are these people getting 5% down conventional loans?

I talked to a mortgage broker today who said that in order to get a 5% down conventional loan, I would have to agree to live in it for at least 1-3 years or something like that. And she said that they will check. I told her that I didn't want to have to guarantee that--especially since I do intend on renting it in the not-too-distant future.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 11 of 23
TropicalSerenade
Established Member

I just found these boards a few weeks ago and didn't know 5% down was an option, either. We're closing on our house in 2 weeks and we got a 30 yr conventional with 5% down through our local credit union. They have been amazing and FAST. We've been sitting on our full approval for a month (came to an accepted offer in March but the sellers asked for a June close date). 

Starting Score: 631
Current Score: 669 (Ex pull from Discover 5/21/13)
Goal Score: 685

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Swapmeet wrote:

I talked to a mortgage broker today who said that in order to get a 5% down conventional loan, I would have to agree to live in it for at least 1-3 years or something like that. And she said that they will check. I told her that I didn't want to have to guarantee that--especially since I do intend on renting it in the not-too-distant future.

I picked up an investment property using FHA mortgage in 2008....  the requirement was to live in it for one year.  I ended up living in it until 2011... so 3 years.

I think this is just to keep people from using loans that are designed for owner occupants towards investment property.

Lucky for me, NFCU does investment property loans, so if I want to pick up another house in the future, I'll go that route and have the larger downpayment, but hopefully the mortgage will report to business credit instead of personal credit.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 23
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

The 3 - 5 percent conventional mortgages have been around for a long time.

Used to be called flex 97, now its just part of the guidelines.

Message 14 of 23
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I believe at one point Fannie/Freddie stopped backing 3% loans.  Now, this year, Fannie (not Freddie) has begun backing them again.  I believe it's called Conventional-97 loans.  There's a lot of information about them...just google conventional 97.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 15 of 23
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Im pretty sure they have always been around, it was just a different product.

They got rid of the product and just merged it in.

Message 16 of 23
jadeite788
Established Contributor

I know for a fact that my credit union offers 5% down on conventional loans.  But i think the interest rate is higher though.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 17 of 23
jadeite788
Established Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

I am having a hard time locating a mortgage that will allow such a low down payment that is not FHA. So, is there a particular bank that people are going through or what?

I know for a fact that my credit union offers 5% down on conventional loans.  But i think the interest rate is higher though.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 18 of 23
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

I picked up an investment property using FHA mortgage in 2008....  the requirement was to live in it for one year.  I ended up living in it until 2011... so 3 years.

I think this is just to keep people from using loans that are designed for owner occupants towards investment property.

Lucky for me, NFCU does investment property loans, so if I want to pick up another house in the future, I'll go that route and have the larger downpayment, but hopefully the mortgage will report to business credit instead of personal credit.

Thank you web, this was helpful. I have looked into going with an investment property loan, but I don't like the 20% down and higher interest rates. I guess if everyone got what they wanted, then life would kind of suck.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 19 of 23
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

I turned a loan application in today....so I can kiss this silver spade goodbye as soon as my mortgage broker calls me later this afternoon.

My Wallet:
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.