cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is worse for credit score, credit card debt or loan? Or does it not matter?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is worse for credit score, credit card debt or loan? Or does it not matter?

My wife and I have about $20k in credit card debt and we were approved for a loan.  By taking the loan to pay off the credit card debt, what would this do to our credit scores?  Thanks for everyone's input.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which is worse for credit score, credit card debt or loan? Or does it not matter?

revolving debt is scored more harshly than instalment, unless it's a loan that it from a consumer finance company.

i'd say you would likely see a score bump if you cards have high utilization, and the new loan doesn't re-age your file too badly.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which is worse for credit score, credit card debt or loan? Or does it not matter?

The loan is through BofA which was approved in November; we've just haven't acted upon it.  I have a Equifax credit score of 715 and $11500 in savings. 

Message Edited by JimCem99 on 01-24-2008 05:58 PM
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

will the loan report as installment or revolving? boa is prime and i have them on my to get list. this time next year if all goes according to plan i'll be in a postion to app them.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called BofA and they said its a revolving loan but I would have installment plans.  Does that make sense? 
Message 5 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

If the revolving loan is greater than 50K it might very well report as an installment loan, but since this loan is considerably lower this won't happen. I wouldn't app for this type of loan, it will hurt your scores. If you have to app, make sure it will report as an installment loan...BTW your score is pretty darn good. How high is the util on your CCs?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I have this right, the Util is 27%; I currently have $14,704 in credit card debt with $53,000 credit.  I also have a $6300 loan.  We have $11,500 in savings; should we keep that there or move some or all to debt?  Is it better to the 11.5k in savings and 20k in debt, or none in savings and about 9k in debt?  How is it scored or judged?  Thanks again!

Message Edited by JimCem99 on 01-22-2008 05:30 PM
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way, my wife's credit score is 766 and we're planning on moving to FL in a few months.  We'll be renting first, then we want to buy a house.  We've been looking at jobs, nothing yet.  Anyway, the whole reason for this loan is to consolidate.  Opinions?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You get hit for both total utilization and individual account utilization.  So 27% total utilization is a little high - I believe you'll see score increases if you get that down below 20%, and again below 10%  (I could be wrong on this one, but I think that's how it works).  But just as important is how your utilization on individual accounts is.  If you have any individual account above 50% utilization, that's a big hit, and anything above 30%, etc.

Others might have different opinions, but I'd first tackle any cards that are 'maxed out'.  Get everything down below 50% (or 30% if you can), and then start getting down to 0% on a few of your cards.  Don't use up all of your savings, because you never know what could happen, but use as much as you can which still leaves you a couple or few month's cushion.  As long as you have a cushion, then anything over that should be paying down that debt (assuming the cost of servicing the debt is higher than the return on the savings).
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.