cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which lender to allow to pull credit first?

tag
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Which lender to allow to pull credit first?

Finally agreed on a price with our seller of $394k. My good friend who I trust is a mortgage broker, has quoted me a rate of 3.875% on a 30-year with a 60 day lock and a 20 day float. If I do the mortgage rate quote on that well known property website, the lowest APR is coming up as 3.625%. I was also considering getting a quote from my realtor's preferred broker too.

Who should I allow to pull my credit first? My concern is although all the mortgage inquiries within a certain time frame should count as one, will the second onwards receive a slightly lower score for me? Or am I over thinking it? My friend said anything over 700 is what counted in my bracket, and my MyFico Mortgage scores were 716, 725 and 739.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which lender to allow to pull credit first?

You are overthinking it. All pulls within a 30-45 period will count as one pull, yes. Also, the inquiry will typically not ding your credit score until thirty days after the pull, so the order should not matter.

Message 2 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

You have a friend who you trust and you still want to try the Realtor's broker? If you really trust your friend, you'll let him/her do it...else you are lying to yourself. 

Message 3 of 4
CreditJim
Established Contributor

Only because he's encouraging me to! I mentioned my Realtor has pushed her guy to me a few times and he said I should see what he comes up with just so he can compare numbers, and try to match it if it is lower. This is why I ask though. When we're talking such small differences, I know it does add up to some money over the course of the mortgage, but he's been absolutely fantastic already and spent a couple of hours on the phone with me and he hasn't even pulled my credit yet. I guess I already know who I'm going to go with.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.