Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which mortgage route would you choose?

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Which mortgage route would you choose?

Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) or a local mortgage company?

Yes, I'm a member of NFCU. However, I never served, so I don't have other military benefits like access to a VA loan.

I know these aren't my only options, but it seems like they're the most viable to get the best rate. 

Mortgage FICO about 700 straight across the board. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: Which mortgage route would you choose?

You can get the best rate depending on how deep your pockets are if that's what all you're thinking about.

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

With NFCU, it all depends on what kind of loan you are looking to get.  Do you mind sharing what type of mortgage you are looking for?

Message 3 of 9
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I believe I'm looking for a conventional mortgage. 

I'm looking in the $350k range and while it's tight for me to come up with the cash on hand for the downpayment, I make about $130k now and can manage the payment. 

I'm not looking for a USDA loan, nor am I looking for a rehab loan. I've considered FHA or even CHFA (the CT version of FHA), but I'm prepared to just do conventional. 

My *mortgage scores* are around 700 and my credit is fairly clean with the only negs are lates from 2 years ago (when I found myself in a horiible financial bind that wiped out a lot of my savings). 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 4 of 9
VALoanMaster
Valued Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

I'm looking in the $350k range and while it's tight for me to come up with the cash on hand for the downpayment, I make about $130k now and can manage the payment. 

I'm not looking for a USDA loan, nor am I looking for a rehab loan. I've considered FHA or even CHFA (the CT version of FHA), but I'm prepared to just do conventional. 

My *mortgage scores* are around 700 and my credit is fairly clean with the only negs are lates from 2 years ago (when I found myself in a horiible financial bind that wiped out a lot of my savings). 

Hi MontegoMack,

I would steer clear of any of the big box banks. Do a Google search for reviews on NFCU & really research the reviews before making a choice.

As far as the loan program options, you need to see estimated rates/payments & closing costs for each one so you can do a side by side comparison to determine which option is best for you.

VA Mortgage Expert. Mortgage Banker lending in All 50 States.
VA, FHA, USDA. Jumbo, Conventional.
CAIVRS Expert.
Message 5 of 9
kc0039
Established Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

You can put a minimum downpayment of 3% for a home going the conventional route. Having a socre of 700 is going to hurt a bit, but not too much.

Licensed in IL
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MontegoMack wrote:

I know CHFA well as I am in CT also.  It has a lot of restrictions and conventional is a very good option for you.  Definately call NFCU as we used them and process was super easy.  What county are you looking to buy in?

Message 7 of 9
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Yes, 

I sent you a PM. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MontegoMack wrote:

Yes, 

I sent you a PM. 

And I respondedSmiley Wink..

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.