cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which should come first? Pre-Approval for mortgage or Putting House on Market?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which should come first? Pre-Approval for mortgage or Putting House on Market?

I would like to put my home on the market (I fully expect it to take quite a while to sell) and I'm not sure what order things should be done in?   Do I get a pre-approval for a mortgage and THEN put my house on the market or vice versa?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
trb

Re: Which should come first? Pre-Approval for mortgage or Putting House on Market?

Unless you have enough money to pay for two mortgages, I would put the house on the market and wait until you at least have some offers before you get a pre-approval. Definitely get a pre-approval before you go house hunting. Best of luck to you.

TU-585 5/13/2011
Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Which should come first? Pre-Approval for mortgage or Putting House on Market?

If you don't know you'd be able to qualify for a new mortgage, then if you put your home on the market, accepted an offer, and then found out you didn't qualify for a mortgage, what would you do?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.