cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who knows about the USDA rural develpment loans? Anyone have any info?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who knows about the USDA rural develpment loans? Anyone have any info?

The house we like seems to be eligible.  Is this something that is hard to qualify for?  It says we meet the requirements for the guaranteed but not the direct.  What would be the difference?  Is this something for someone with less than perfect credit or would FHA be better?  Thanks for any help this is just something I have been hearing about lately and wanted a little more info. 
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Who knows about the USDA rural develpment loans? Anyone have any info?

If your loan officer is any good... they should be able to tell you if you qualify for one or both. And if it is both, then they should give you a comparison of the programs.

I don't currently do these USDA loans. Because I am waiting for them to roll out their proprietary 'Automated Underwriting' software. Until then, I just don't have the time..... Sadly, I cannot help some people who ned this and I do not like it.... But, I just don't like the whole "get it in the door by saying yes, then try to figure it out" type of business.

USDA is pretty tricky.

If anyone here wants to use that program.... I suggest that you apply early and make darn sure that your loan officer knows the loans....

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just been approved for the 502 direct today!!! Yeah!!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The difference as I understand it is income.  The direct can get you a lower interest rate as well as a government subsidy.  However, if you go to sell within a few years you are not going to get the equity you may have put into the home since you will be required to pay back the subsidy portion of the loan.  This keeps house flippers out of the loan program for profit reasons.

From the mortgage brokers and officers and classes I have taken this has been stressed over and over again to be the best program to use if you can get approved.

There aren't any hoops I have jumped through that I wouldn't have had to go through in any other situation as well. 

But, you need to have a credit score of 640 or better for Minnesota anyway.  And it sounds like there may be a little give here but, not much.

All of my collections had to be paid and or a satisfactory payment agreement set up and closed for 6 months or more from my credit reports.

You have to take a homestretch class before you close.  Highly recommended.

They will pull all three credit reports....small fee.  Divorce decree, child support for the past year, rent verification from landlord, bank statements, all loans, revolving credit etc....

The property usually needs to be located in a rural area........20,000 pop. or less.  They have a property eligibility plug on their web site.  It needs to appraise at or for less than their max dollar amount for the loan. 

That's all I can think of for now.  Good luck.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

dork wrote:

But, you need to have a credit score of 640 or better for Minnesota anyway.  And it sounds like there may be a little give here but, not much.

Was that required by the USDA?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I spoke with Shane I was told it was 620. Of course I am in WV so I don't know if that matters.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I heard that too.  The paperwork they had sent me said 660.  The first processor I spoke to said 620 due to the current conditions we are all facing they lowered it.  Then I was told when they were processing it that it had to be above 640.
Message 7 of 9
New Contributor

Last month I closed using the USDA Rural Dev. Loan (Guaranteed), which goes thru a broker.  My salary had to be somewhere below something like $68K.  I earn too much for the direct loan.  102% financing (2% is the funding fee, but NO PMI). It was a fairly easy process for me, though I have heard that sometimes you and/or your broker have to stay on your local/state USDA office once they have your file as they tend to drag their heels, but I had no problems.  I did not have to take any classes.  My broker required 2 months bank statements, 3 years W2s, A month of pay stubs (I think), Job verification, driver's licence, and I think that's it. My credit reports (all three) were clean, and FICOs good.  They approved me, then submitted my file to USDA.  I went thru manual underwriting with USDA, twice, and they were very quick and I closed as scheduled (less than a month).  They allowed me to go somewhat over the front end/housing expense ratio of 29%, so there is some flexibility.  My house is NOT in a rural area, but is in an area that is an exception to the rule because it is considered a disaster area.  Disaster areas are not taken into account in their plug in program on the website, rather, the info is in another link/page.

Message Edited by kiminno on 05-14-2008 03:46 PM
FICOs
04/08/08 TU 761 EQ 740 EX 756
Closed on my first mortgage on 4/25/2008!!!
05/18/08 TU 771 EQ 740 EX 756
08/18/08 TU 749 EQ776 EX 768
I never have real credit card debt, just the 1-9% for reporting purposes!!!
Message 8 of 9
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to clarify the score stuff. USDA does not require a 620 or 660.Those scores make it easier to qualify.

At a score of 620 or higher, lenders can use the streamlined underwriting guidelines.

Lenders are NOT required to document adverse credit history except delinquent federal debt or a previous agency loan.

Lender is not required to obtain rental history.

No action is necessary for any derogatory items (ie no letters of explanation, unpaid collection accts are NOT required to be paid off, etc)

At 660 and above, its a walk in the park.  Smiley Happy

ADDED:

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/CA/pdf%20files%20and%20documents/GRH%20UNDERWRITING%20GUIDEL.pdf

Message Edited by WannaHouse on 10-24-2008 09:57 PM

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.