Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whos credit score will be used?

tag
cha04039
Established Member

Whos credit score will be used?

I have read a couple of sites that say the lowest mid score between my husband and i will be used but i have also read that it is the mid-score from the highest paycheck. Just trying to decide if I should apply without him since my scores are mid-high 600s and his are mid to high 500s. I make more than he does as well so if I could have him on the application but they look at my credit score that would be ideal but if they would look at his score, im thinking applying alone would be best.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

Re: Whos credit score will be used?

If his scores do not qualify, then he cannot be on the loan.  Depending on where you live, his debts may still count against you.

Message 2 of 11
cha04039
Established Member

I live in Alabama. How would I find out if his debts count against me?

Message 3 of 11
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

If you live in a community property state, then they'll count his debts.  I don't think Alabama is one of them.  Also, I'm not at all well-versed in marriage law, so perhaps someone can answer up with more accurate information.

Message 4 of 11
foofighter74
Established Contributor

Alabama is not a community property state.  you should be fine on that issue.

Message 5 of 11
Ron6262
Regular Contributor

On our FHA loan they used my mid score.  My fiance is 770 mid, I was 640, they used mine.  My pay checks over quadruple hers and I have the down and a current home, didnt matter, they used mine.  LO said they use mid of the lower party.

Message 6 of 11
violetsmom
Regular Contributor

I was told by my LO that the lower of the two mid scores are used, the size of the paycheck has nothing to do with it.

Message 7 of 11
mauve
Valued Contributor

Basically, if his scores don't qualify, he can't be on the loan. Either work on his scores or you have to do the loan yourself. His salary won't count if he's not on the loan.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
Ron6262
Regular Contributor

Exactly as I was told.

Message 9 of 11
mauve
Valued Contributor

The rebuilding board is good for helping you figure out how to get both of your scores up.

Do either / both of you have lates in the last 2 years? What's your utilization like? What's the worst thing on your report, and how recent is it?

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.