cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my score drop 16 points

tag
Pearlz

Why did my score drop 16 points

We sold our home when Capital One reported the loan paid in full my score dropped. It was 691 now it's 675. Does anyone know why it dropped 16 points. I thought decreasing debt was good.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Re: Why did my score drop 16 points

Open mortgages are factored into your FICO score calculation. It has something to do with credit mix.

When we refinanced our home last year, my credit scored dropped (I think it was 11 points) when the original mortgage updated as a closed account. The mortgage and credit mix explanation is what was given.

When our new mortgage finally reported (5 mos later), my score increased by 16 points.

I hope this helps.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 2 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

A mortgage is the highest quality trade line. When you paid off your mortgage, you were probably rebucketed by fico due to the loss of diversity.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 3 of 7
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
A mortgage is the highest quality trade line. When you paid off your mortgage, you were probably rebucketed by fico due to the loss of diversity.

Cant wait to see what it does to my scores, I've never had a mortgage on my credit report. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 7
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Supposedly it does great things after 6 months. I'm not there yet either. 4 more months and I will let you all know the result! Smiley Happy
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 5 of 7
beb86
Valued Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:
Open mortgages are factored into your FICO score calculation. It has something to do with credit mix.

When we refinanced our home last year, my credit scored dropped (I think it was 11 points) when the original mortgage updated as a closed account. The mortgage and credit mix explanation is what was given.

When our new mortgage finally reported (5 mos later), my score increased by 16 points.

I hope this helps.

+1 as a FICO scores how you handle debt it wants to weigh more on your current open debt than your closed debt.

Message 6 of 7
wpbguy
Valued Member

@MovingForward_2012 wrote:
Supposedly it does great things after 6 months. I'm not there yet either. 4 more months and I will let you all know the result! Smiley Happy

I'll be right there with you folks. I close in a couple days and that space in my credit garage called "mortgage" has has been housing old Christmas decorations will finally be filled Smiley LOL

Starting Score: EQ 612 (CU Lender Pull) 03-2012
Current Score: EQ 679 TU 697 (Lender Pull) EX 668 (Lender Pull)
Goal: Reach the 700+ Club!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.