cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do a underwriter need a college transcipt?

tag
GRILLMASTERNEEDAHOUSE
New Contributor

Why do a underwriter need a college transcipt?

The mortgage process has been pretty smooth and currently pre-approved due to close this month. My wife have students loans she is paying back all up to date and current, never late. So why would a underwriter need the actually school transcipt? What do the transcipt have to do with the amount owe per month? I don't get this one.

Thanks!

Grill Master now has a house! Closed 8/26. Yay!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why do a underwriter need a college transcipt?

They want to verify that she was actually in school and did grauate or is supposed to graduate when you told them she would.  I had to submit my transcript and a copy of my degree since I did not work while I was in school.  Before the plague (mortgage meltdown) underwriters would just take your word.  Not so much now.  It just depends on the u/w.
Message 2 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

typically, we ask for them when the recent grad doesn't have 2yrs job.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 5
GRILLMASTERNEEDAHOUSE
New Contributor

Ok, it makes a little better since now. I figure the recession had something to do with it too.
Grill Master now has a house! Closed 8/26. Yay!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like Dallas said, in my case they asked for my transcripts because i graduated in May and started working in June. In order for them to use my 2 yrs schooling as "job history" they wanted to make sure my job is in the same field as my degree.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.