cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do they use gross income instead of net?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do they use gross income instead of net?

I mean I'm glad they do, but it seems odd.  I'd be pretty good if I got to keep all the money I earn, but alas that is not reality.

Why would you count money to pay back stuff he's not gonna have?  Dang they take it RIGHT OUT OF MY CHECK, I'm never gonna see it!

I had to turn over 3 years of 1040s, so I guess they get the real numbers from there and figure out if I can repay the note?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Re: Why do they use gross income instead of net?

@Anonymous wrote:

I mean I'm glad they do, but it seems odd.  I'd be pretty good if I got to keep all the money I earn, but alas that is not reality.

Why would you count money to pay back stuff he's not gonna have?  Dang they take it RIGHT OUT OF MY CHECK, I'm never gonna see it!

I had to turn over 3 years of 1040s, so I guess they get the real numbers from there and figure out if I can repay the note?

Yes they do, they use W-2 information to consider how much you can afford

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 2 of 7
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Because gross income is the more dependable/stable number available for lenders' use. Net income is affected by many factors controlled by the wage earner. Not so the gross income.

Message 3 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

taxes are already considered by the current debt ratio restrictions.

if we used net, we would allow higher debt ratios.

doesnt matter either way.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

taxes are already considered by the current debt ratio restrictions.

if we used net, we would allow higher debt ratios.

doesnt matter either way.

I see.  

Message 5 of 7
HiLine
Blogger

I don't think there is a real reason.

Why are prices of goods listed as before sales tax while price after tax is what you pay?

No reason really.
Message 6 of 7
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

There are societies, whose education, healthcare and retirement systems are largely taxpayer-funded and tipping is included; the US is not one of them. Such a difference completely changes the balance of one’s net income.

I’d rather not spend more time on such matters than needed; just splitting a restaurant bill, not to mention figuring out the dollar equivalent of an income tax allowance, gives me a headache.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.