cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does FHA underwriting process take so long?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does FHA underwriting process take so long?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why does FHA underwriting process take so long?

My loan app was submitted on April 17th and the LO said today that is has not even been looked at by the underwriter yet because they are still looking at April 7th loans.  The LO said that its harder for most people to qualify for conventional loans, so most people are going with FHA.  The underwriters are in Raleigh, NC.  The LO also said that if I submitted an app with another local lender it would go to the same underwriters and that would put me even further behind.  This is the first loan I've ever applied for and I had no idea it would take SOOOOO LONG!  Is anyone else having this problem?

Message 2 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

yes, the flood of fha loans has put a load on the fha underwriters. we have had to crosstrain some conventional underwriters to pick up the slack.

our underwriting went to 5 days..... then the company started paying a little overtime(saturday work) to get it back in line(normal 2-3 days).

not every company is the same......

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 7
coachhenson
Regular Contributor

Hang in there.  My FHA only took two days (actually a little less).

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

... does the 'so long' only usually apply if you're going through manual underwriting?

We were pre-approved through FHA a couple of weeks ago and have been told we've got through the automatic underwriting - our loan officer seems to think that 'our' part of the whole thing is a done deal, and everything just hinges on the appraisal etc now... I can see on our loan paperwork that we got 'accept or approve' - but there are still a couple of not-quite-standard things in our circumstances - me having less than two years in my current job, for example.

Can any mortgage/FHA expert tell me what it actually means to 'pass' the automatic underwriting? The mid score being used is my husband's, - 676 (Experian) - our DTI (including the new mortgage) comes out at under 29%... the loan officer has said we are 'good to go' pending appraisal report, etc, but I can't help imagining some underwriter examining our entire life histories in fine detail (I moved to the US a year ago, 7 months sans employment pending green card approval... 4 months in new job, albeit same position, etc etc etc)... can anyone shed any light as to what will REALLY happen?
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

... just realized what a major thread-hijack my post was - for which, my sincere apologies, I got carried away!
Message 6 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

fevmlo wrote:
... just realized what a major thread-hijack my post was - for which, my sincere apologies, I got carried away!

it is still on topic though.....

underwriting simply looks at the documents provided by you and verifies the data used for the automated underwriting.
they calculate income, ect.... to make sure that automated underwriting approved you on correct data

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.