cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I be approved for low income USDA home loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will I be approved for low income USDA home loan?

I applied for a USDA rural development single family home loan. My income is child support of about 800 a month and two disabled children receive 735 each from social security.

My debt is a car loan 18,000.. and school loans 40,000..

My credit scores are 58/676/ 662.

I have mutiple credit cards that I don't carry balances on.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
oldman425
Frequent Contributor

Re: Will I be approved for low income USDA home loan?

What are the monthly payments on the auto and school loans.  With USDA i'm pretty sure your mortgage payment can't be more then 29% of your income and your other debts can't be more then 41% of your income.

12/27/16 - Eq683 TU666 Ex681 04/05/17 Eq742 TU763 Ex757
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car 370 and student loans are in deferment.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Car 370 and student loans are in deferment.

Message 4 of 8
oldman425
Frequent Contributor

Are you already talking to a loan officer?  They should be able to answer your questions and to be honest, I don't think you make enough money.  But please don't take my word regarding this issue because I'm not a professional by any means. 

12/27/16 - Eq683 TU666 Ex681 04/05/17 Eq742 TU763 Ex757
Message 5 of 8
H-B
Regular Contributor

I understand your student loan is deferred but what will monthly payment when will start the payment?  

Message 6 of 8
Threeof5
New Contributor

USDA may have a different metric but in general, I use 1% of the student loan amount as a monthly obligation, even in deferment. This payment will start at one point, and the lender wants to know if you could handle the mortgage payment once you start paying on the student loan. I've had borrowers fight me on this but it's ultimately making sure they aren't stretched too thin when a known obligation needs to start being paid.

Starting 12/27/16 FICO Score 8 EQ 645 TU 643 EX 618
Current 6/27/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 797 TU 804 EX 782

Goal 740+ ACHIEVED 4/5/17 FICO Score 8 EQ 776 TU 762 EX 748
Message 7 of 8
krielly
Established Contributor

I don't mean to be negative, but it sounds like all of your income revolves around your children. What will happen when your children age and you no longer receive child support? How will you pay your mortgage?

As has been said, it's likely that 1% of your student loan ($400) will be calculated into your debt to income ratio. With that plus your car loan, your disposable income is likely not going to be enough to support a mortgagel

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.