Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I need a co-signer for FHA Loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will I need a co-signer for FHA Loan?

I am hoping that my credit score will meet the FHA requirements by this fall to apply for a mortgage.  Is a co-signer required for FHA loans even if we meet the credit score requirements?  My husband and I have great income and our credit reports are looking better. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
mauve
Valued Contributor

Re: Will I need a co-signer for FHA Loan?

I don't think a co-signer would help.  They'll take the lowest mid-score from the people applying.  You could leave one of you off of the mortgage, but then you'd have to qualify with only that person's income.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Will I need a co-signer for FHA Loan?

A co-signer is never required for an FHA loan.  When borrowers do not have qualifying scores, a co-signer with qualifying scores cannot be added in an effort to get a loan approval - meaning everyone on the application must have qualifying scores.  I have seen people here go from upper 500's to low 700's in a matter of 6 months, so it's definitely possible for you to increase your scores to your goal.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.