cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a high student loan balance factor into getting approved for a mortgage?

tag
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Re: Will a high student loan balance factor into getting approved for a mortgage?

My IBR payments don't match the payments listed on my CR, do your match, jade?

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 21 of 35
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

Re: Will a high student loan balance factor into getting approved for a mortgage?

If you call and ask your student loan provider they can update the CR. the underwriter. Isn't accept a letter from your student loan provider. However, my cr does have the ibr amount listed.
Message 22 of 35
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Forgive me for asking this but how does this IBR plan work exactly?

Do I just say.... "Sallie Mae, I want to buy a house so please lower my payments to reflect how much money I make so I can get approved for a mortgage..."

Am I missing something?

Message 23 of 35
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

IBR is based off of your income and size of family.

Has nothing to do with buying a home.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 24 of 35
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

I know that's why I said "How much money I make" in my last statement.

Do I just ask Sallie Mae to look at my income and adjust my payment?  I mean is it that simple?

Message 25 of 35
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Im sure you will have to provide proof of income, birth certificates and ss#'s or something of that nature.

But yes contact them and ask them what they need.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 26 of 35
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

It's pretty simple. Google ibr calculator and run your numbers. Basically, your payments are 15% of your discretionary income. That means the difference in 150% of the poverty rate and your income is What your 15% is based on. The poverty limit is based on income and family size.

As far as setting it up...you just call your provider and tell them you want to apply for this payment plan. After 25 years of payments, your loans are forgiven. However, the forgiven amount is taxable.
Message 27 of 35
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

The application requests your tax returns. I forgot to say it based on your agi!
Message 28 of 35
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

After 25 years of payments on an IBR plan, my Sallie Mae loans will be forgiven??????

How come Sallie Mae never tells me this?  How come Sallie Mae never tells me about IBR plans?

Message 29 of 35
jadeite788
Established Contributor

I won't know until April though.  It should.  If its from the U.S. Department of Education.

Starting Score: 565
Current Experian Score: 634 (Lender pull)
Current Equifax Score: previous 668, 680 as of 11/12/13 lender pull
Current Transunion Score: previous 675,677 as of 09/23/13
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.