cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my FICO score be lower if I change mortgage broker now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will my FICO score be lower if I change mortgage broker now?

This is my true story. I am desperately in need of help.

One month ago, my husband and I found a house we both liked. We were scheduled to close on the house on May 27th. It did not happen.

When we first started the loan application, everything looked good. We were approved for the conventional loan. The only condition was all parties must sign contract and all amendments by hands (the lender would not accept digital signatures).

After inspections, we found some repairs were needed. We sent an amendment to the sellers. They agreed to repair item 1 and 2, and gave us 1k for closing cost in lieu of repairs. Instead of typing a clean list of repairs, the sellers used the one we sent them and crossed out the items they were not going to do. We both signed for the changes. We turned in the amendment to my loan processor (LP), who then turned it in to UW.

10 days before closing, everything took a turn.

First, the UW asked for verification of all repairs. Besides the receipts from the sellers' contractors, I also had to hire my inspector to do a re-inspection and comment on each item as "been completed in a workman like manner". This was something new to us, and to both realtors. We finally pushed to get all repairs done and got everything UW asked for.

Next, the appraisal came back 15K lower than contract price. At first the sellers were upset and would not lower the price. We did not want to eat the whole difference either. BTW, the appraisal cost was almost double as other local appraisers would charge. That was one reason we were hesitated to request a new appraisal. Another concern was a new appraisal would took another 7-10 days to complete (the 1st one took 12 days from the LP ordered it to we received it) and we may not close on time. In addition, no one knows what the appraised value would be, it might still be lower than contract price and we would have to negotiate the price anyway. After 3 days of tough negotiation, the seller agreed to lower 5k in price and increase 1.5k in closing cost.

Then the UW updated the condition, in addition to all repairs sellers agreed to do, they asked for a full copy of inspection report to verify any outstanding repairs. If any of the repair work (including what were crossed out on the repair list) are still outstanding, then they will need these either repaired before closing or inspector must specifically comment on them as to whether or not they are cosmetic and whether or not they will affect livability, salability, marketability, structure and foundation. This was 3 days before closing. I have been to the inspection and talked to the inspector. I knew the house is in a good condition (consider it was 17 yeard old and was rental property from day 1). There are some maintenance needs and some issues not updated to current code (those usually can be corrected when it's time to replace). Most repairs are handyman jobs and we can handle ourselves after we buy the house. But the sellers would not pay for any more repairs and would not allow us or our contractors to do any repairs due to liability concerns. So I turned to my inspector for help. He did his best to give a repair assessment with comments on each repair item: the property is considered livable and repair is recommended. It does not affect structure and foundation. I turned this in and held my last hope. One day after the scheduled closing date, the UW sent back an update of condition: Per management all the repairs listed on the inspection report MUST BE COMPLETED and inspector must provide a comment that these have been completed in a workman like Manner. At this time, I gave up (I wish I did this sooner),

My LO blamed my realtor for not paying attention to lender request and should not cross out repair items and mention about inspection report in amendment. My realtor blames my LO for not checking all paperwork and finding out the potential red flags before sending it to lender. She thought my LO should reimburse me for appraisal fee and rate lock fee. No matter whom to blame, we are the ones who lost the most.

Now we have to find another lender and close in 13 business days (the time sellers agreed to extend the contract). Besides my current LO, my realtor and the sellers' realtor also recommended their preferred LO to me. My current Lo offered the best rate (because he screwed up the first time and would do this one at cost); my realtor's LO is very straight forward but her price is thousands of dollars more (and she said she would try her best to close on time); the sellers' realtor's LO is very aggressive and guarantee to close on time, his price is in between the other two, but his guarantee raised some doubts (in today's lending industry, can any one really guarantee to close in 3 weeks?).

Another concern is, if I stay with my current LO, he does not need to pull another credit report (the report would be less than 60 days at closing). IF I go to any other LO, they have to pull a new credit report. When I shopped for rate 5-6 weeks ago, 2 lenders pulled credit reports. The scores were exactly the same: my middle score was 727 and my husband's was 731. If after the new inquire our scores go down to below 720, the rate will be worse. My question is: how does new credit inquiries for mortgage within 45 day affect my FICO score? Should I stay with the current LO to avoid a new inquiry? Is there any other problems I should know (like is it a red flag to start a new loan application when the house contract is one month old)?

I am totally lost in this mortgage nightmare. Sometimes I wonder if I should buy a house. Any suggestion and advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will my FICO score be lower if I change mortgage broker now?

Another question is about the earnest money: my husband and I thought of backing out from the contract. My realtor told me that we would lost our earnest money because it is passed the 10 days for finacial approval. But the LO pointed out that "Financing Approval does not including approval of lender's underwriting requirements for the Property, as specified in Paragraph 4.A(1) of the contract." And 4.A.(1) "If the property does not satidfy the lender's underwriting requirements for the loan, this contract will termites and the earnest money will be refunded to Buyer. "

I think my LO is correct. Is there any expert who can verify that we should be able to get earnest money back if we cancel the contract because the lender did not approve the house?

Message 2 of 14
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Hi rose_mary, and welcome to the FICO Forums.

With regard to the inquiries, this it how it works:

For the newer versions of FICO, which include Equifax's Beacon 5.0 score (the score you get here) and TransUnion's TU 04 score (NOT the score you get here), any mortgage inquiries that fall within a 45 day window will be scored as a single inquiry.

For the older versions of FICO, which include TransUnion's TU 98 score (the score you get here) and Experian's v2 score, any mortgage inquiries that fall within a 14 day window will be scored as a single inquiry.

Most lenders are using EQ's Beacon 5.0, TU 04, and Experian's v2. 

In addition - and this is perhaps the most important number for you - mortgage inquiries that occur in the past 30 days are excluded from FICO scoring.  That way, there's no "first hit" effect from your initial mortgage inquiry.  If you have 5 mortgage inquiries from May 1-May 28, for example, none of these will be factored into a mortgage inquiry pulled on May 29.

You wrote that your initial mortgage inquiry was about 5-6 weeks ago.  If you have another mortgage inquiry now, this second inquiry would fall within the 45 day window.  For Beacon 5.0 and TU 04, these inquiries would be scored a single inquiry.  For EX's v2, these would be scored as two separate inquiries.

Because your intial inquiry was more than 30 days ago, then this inquiry will be factored into your updated score.  This may cause a drop of a few points.  It's impossible to predict the magnitude of the change, if any.

Keep in mind that changes to one's credit report often don't happen in isolation.  That is, in 5-6 weeks there could have been other changes that could affect your score, such as an increase or decrease in credit card balances.  So if your score does drop, don't automatically assume that it's due to the inquiry.

With regard to the earnest money question, there seems to be a serious inconsistency in what you've written.  First you wrote that "Financing Approval does not include approval of lender's underwriting requirements for the Property, as specified in Paragraph 4.A(1) of the contract" but then you wrote "If the property does not satisfy the lender's underwriting requirements for the loan, this contract will [terminate?] and the earnest money will be refunded to Buyer. "

Where are you getting the first quotation from?  It seems to conflict directly with the quotation from your purchase contract.  By my read, the property has not met the lender's underwriting requirements.  Based on this clause from your purchase contract, you are entitled to a refund of your deposit.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lel, thank you for the detailed explanation.

The first quote came from "THIRD PARTY FINANCING CONDITION ADDENDUM". Basically it says that I have 10 days after the effective date of the contract to get financing approval. If I do not obtain approval for the financing, I must give notice to terminate the contract in 10 days. Otherwise the contract will no longer be subject to Financing Approval. (That's why my realtor said I could not get back earnest money.) Next paragraph says "NOTE: Financing Approval does not include approval of lender's underwriting requirements for the Property, as specified in Paragraph 4.A(1) of the contract" (my LO said I should get back earnest money because of this clause).

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had two credit inquries on April 21st and 28th. From what Lel said, they should be scored as a single inquiry and be factored into my updated score now. I do not have huge changes in credit card balances. On the credit card I use the most, my balance is 19% of credit limit this month, vs. 9% last month (because this month I paid over 1k for rate lock and appraisal). I also have some store credit cards with same-as-cash-promotion balances. I have been paying minimum balances every months. When I got credit report from LO last month, one of the negative factor is "PROPORTION OF BALANCES TO CREDIT LIMITS IS TOO HIGH ON BANK REVOLVING OR OTHER REVOLVING ACCOUNTS". I think it's caused by high balance on those cards (one is 75%, one is 67% and one is 47%). If I pay down those cards, how soon will it apprear on the credit report to improve my score? And what percentage of balance to credit limit is considered not too high?

Another question is, if I purchase FICO score and credit report myself, does it affect my score? My current scores are EF727(Beacon 5.0), TU715 (TU 04), XP744 (v2). Is it better to purchase a one-time report or subscribe to the Score Watch?

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 14
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Lel, thank you for the detailed explanation.

The first quote came from "THIRD PARTY FINANCING CONDITION ADDENDUM". Basically it says that I have 10 days after the effective date of the contract to get financing approval. If I do not obtain approval for the financing, I must give notice to terminate the contract in 10 days. Otherwise the contract will no longer be subject to Financing Approval. (That's why my realtor said I could not get back earnest money.) Next paragraph says "NOTE: Financing Approval does not include approval of lender's underwriting requirements for the Property, as specified in Paragraph 4.A(1) of the contract" (my LO said I should get back earnest money because of this clause).

Hopefully once the holiday weekend is over, one of the mortgage professionals will be able to chime in on your situation.

Here's my take on this: it seems like this addendum (1) sets an expiration date on your right to invoke the financing contingency and (2) limits the scope of the financing contingency.

The first part is easy to understand - if you don't get financing approval within 10 days of signing the purchase contract, then you can terminate the contract.  If you don't do so within this time period, then the financing contingency no longer applies, and you would lose your earnest money if you back out of the contract.

The second part is harder to understand, but I think I have a vague idea of what it does.  The addendum negates Paragraph 4.A(1) of your purchase contract.  To me, this seems to treat as separate two major parts of obtaining a mortgage: (1) approval of the borrower(s) as appropriate lending risks and (2) approval of the property for the lender's underwriting guidelines.  Basically, it appears to say that as long as you and your husband have decent credit histories, sufficient salaries, and no excessive debt, then you're "approved" as borrowers.  In this sense, you have already met the financing contingency.  However, if the house that you're purchasing doesn't pass muster with the lender, you cannot use this as a release from your contract, because the addendum eliminates this.  So even though the lender won't make a loan on the house as it is, and even though you can't get a mortgage from them, this doesn't mean that you were unable to fulfill the financing contingency.

[If I am interpreting this all wrong, then I hope someone will step in and correct me.]

One question: does your current LO work with multiple lenders?  Maybe he can find some other lender whose underwriting standards would permit a loan on the property.

Another thing to consider is that if you do back out of your contract, it is possible that the sellers might seek additional damages from you, especially if they are unable to sell their property at the price to which you had agreed.  Check the terms of your purchase contract carefully.  It may be that the retaining of your earnest money may be their only remedy, but you should check to make sure.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have given you the whole picture of it. Let me copy the financing clause in the contract here:

----------------------------------

4. FINANCING: The portion of Sales Price not payable in cash will be paid as follows: (Check applicable boxes below)

(checked) A. THIRD PARTY FINANCING: One or more third party mortgage loans in the total amount of $_______ (excluding any loan

funding fee or mortgage insurance premium).

(1) Property Approval: If the Property does not satisfy the lenders' underwriting requirements for the loan(s), this contract

will terminate and the earnest money will be refunded to Buyer.

(2) Financing Approval: (Check one box only)

(checked) (a) This contract is subject to Buyer being approved for the financing described in the attached Third Party

Financing Condition Addendum.

(b) This contract is not subject to Buyer being approved for financing and does not involve FHA or VA financing.

B. ASSUMPTION:

C. SELLER FINANCING:

----------------------------------

What my LO told me is: the Financing Approval has 10 day limit, while the Property Approval has no time limit. In our case, my husband and I were approved as borrowers, but the property did not pass underwritting.

My current LO works with multiply lenders. He agrees to submit this loan to another lender. Because of the bad experience the first time, I am scaried that anything might go wrong will go wrong the second time. If I switch to another LO (both my realtor and the seller's realtor recommended LOs to me), I am afraid my current FICO score is below 720 due to the inquiried 5 weeks ago and increase of usage in one credit card (from 9% to 19%). I thought of purchase the score and credit report to see how low it is now. Will inquire from myself be treated as another hard hit? If I need to improve the score, usually how long it takes?

Thank you.

Message 7 of 14
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Pulling your own credit report does not affect your FICO score whatsoever.  And yes, your increased utilization on that one credit card might result in a drop in your score.

Generally speaking, to maximize your score you should try to keep your overall utilization of available revolving credit at 9% or lower, and you'd want to have less than 50% of your open tradelines reporting balances.  Also, in addition to considering overall utilization (which is the sum of all your CC balances divided by all your credit limits), the FICO score also looks at utilization of individual credit cards.  So those 0% financing accounts on which you have high utilization are probably hurting your score.

If you are able to pay down your credit card balances and if the new balances make it onto your credit report, then you might see an increase in score because of decreased utilization.  But the CCs won't update the CRAs with your new balances until after the current billing cycle closes.

It probably would be worth your while to pull your Equifax score only, to see where you stand.  Pulling your own TU score, unfortunately, won't be of any help because your lender used TU 04 (as do many lenders) but the TU score you get here is TU 98.  Any EX score you pull from a different site is not a true FICO score, so won't give you any guidance about where you stand.

With regard to your financing clause in your purchase contract, it now seems like you can recover your earnest money.  It's hard to know for certain with only pieces of the puzzle.  You should consider consulting a real estate lawyer if you really think that you might terminate the contract.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to increase credit limit instead of pay down balance to decrease utilization? For those 0% financing accounts with high utilization, I have been paying minimum dues for over 12 months, never late. If they agree to increase limit, what would be used to calculate utilization, the new limit or the average credit limit for certain period?

Thanks.

Message 9 of 14
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Is it possible to increase credit limit instead of pay down balance to decrease utilization? For those 0% financing accounts with high utilization, I have been paying minimum dues for over 12 months, never late. If they agree to increase limit, what would be used to calculate utilization, the new limit or the average credit limit for certain period?

Thanks.

In theory, yes.

HOWEVER (and this is a very big however) requesting a credit limit increase often results in a hard inquiry on your credit report.  Furthermore, CC companies are much stingier with their CLIs these days.  If you call to request a CLI, you could end up with a new inquiry and no increase.

Even if you do get enough increases in CL to reduce your utilization, the inquiries would most likely be a red flag to the underwriter. Though your score might increase despite the hard inquiries, it will not look good that you have sought to increase your available credit.

Even if the customer service rep for your CCs tells you that it won't be a hard inquiry, I wouldn't trust them.  It's not that they're being dishonest, it's just that they don't always have accurate information to provide to you.

If I were in your shoes, I would not request any CLIs.  The risk is too great.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.