cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will paying off my mortgage hurt my credit score?

tag
dan67448

Will paying off my mortgage hurt my credit score?

I currently have a mortgage that I am about to pay off. I owe roughly 53,000 on the loan. My credit score is 600. How much will this hurt or help my score? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Will paying off my mortgage hurt my credit score?

A paid in full mortgage is a good thing!  Congratulations on being able to have a home you own without having a mortgage. It is a milestone you should celebrate Smiley Very Happy

The paid tradeline stays on your credit report for 10 years.

Your score is more a reflection of revolving credit card type accounts. Any installment type loans (auto, mortgage) only account for 10% of your score.  If you are looking to increase your score than active credit cards will help you more than a mortgage tradeline. Try the rebuilding forum to see what you need to do to increase your score.

Message 2 of 4
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

when we refinanced our house back in 2012, i lost about 10 points (on myfico) when the old mortgage reported as closed.  I gained those back a few months later after the new mortgage started reporting.

Paying off your mortgage is a good thing...and should be celebrated.  Unless you are trying to get a new mortgage, you should just eat the points and look for other ways to increase your score.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 3 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

I don't like the term "hurt" as it related to credit scores. Credit scores are simply the scored results of your credit profile. Yes, if you close a tradeline by paying it off, that loss of tradeline will be reflected in your scores ... and it will be lowered.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.