cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will terminating my cell phone service affect my mortgage?

tag
xazilizax
New Contributor

Will terminating my cell phone service affect my mortgage?

I am in my final stage of underwriting and my file will be sent to USDA tomorrow or Tuesday.  I want to terminate my cell phone service with Verizon.  No, I will not be signing up with another phone service.  Would that still affect my loan or no?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Will terminating my cell phone service affect my mortgage?

No, terminating cell phone service will not affect your mortgage app.  Getting new service could!

Message 2 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

The only thing that could happen with new service is an inquiry which could easily be explained, though when you're down to the wire, who would want that stress?
STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 7
Jaguars28fan
Contributor

Was the cell phone service being used as one of your three tradelines?  If they haven't called and verify yet, it may not be good to cancel yet.

I was using my car insurance as one of my tradelines.  I cancelled and switched over to my wifes car insurance to save money.  They called to verify a week later, but since its closed even with no lates.  They had to use a different tradeline instead of my car insurance.

Message 4 of 7
HomeBuyer13
Established Member

@Jaguars28fan wrote:

Was the cell phone service being used as one of your three tradelines?  If they haven't called and verify yet, it may not be good to cancel yet.

I was using my car insurance as one of my tradelines.  I cancelled and switched over to my wifes car insurance to save money.  They called to verify a week later, but since its closed even with no lates.  They had to use a different tradeline instead of my car insurance.

I don't exactly understand what you mean by tradelines and does it have to do with car insurance?

Message 5 of 7
HomeBuyer13
Established Member

Message 6 of 7
Jutz
Valued Contributor

I'm guessing that Jaguar had to establish pay history because he didn't have sufficient credit history.  So the cell phone account was used.

1) Terminating your service has no affect on your credit profile as cell phone plans do not report.  However, make sure you are diligent about paying your final bill, because many people are not, and they get sent to collections.  Do I think that would even be possible in your timeframe?  No. 

2) As people said, new service has a minute chance of hitting as an inquiry, although nearly every service application I've seen has been a soft pull.  Obviously you said you wouldn't be opening any anyway.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.