cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this help me get a higher preapproval?

tag
jaa97

Will this help me get a higher preapproval?

Based on my credit score and my DTI ratio, I am preapproved for a certain amount that is a tad lower than the house I want to buy (thanks to the outrageous HOA fees in this area...) I do not want a cosigner as paying the mortgage won't be a problem because I will be renting out the other room, but I am wondering how I can decrease my DTI ratio, besides the obvious?

In terms of liabilities -- I have student loans whose minimum monthly payments most likely will not be changing anytime soon, a car loan that has 2 more years (and while there is the option to refinance for seemingly lower monthly payments while still making the same ones now, I want to avoid pulling credit so many times in a row so that's out as well) and paying down credit card debt which is already my step 1.

As for increasing my income, I am looking to switch jobs right now in the same industry -- I have just about 3 years of consecutive work history in the same industry, and with the jobs I am looking at I am hoping for a higher salary offer.

Question is: will the lender (NFCU Homebuyers Choice program to be specific) use the new increase in salary to determine a pre-approval since it is in the same industry? Or will they only look at my previous W-2's?

Thanks in advance! This place is absolutely perfect and I'm just trying to figure out a way to get a higher preapproval so that even if this place doesn't work out, at least my search price range can be a little more flexible! Smiley Happy

05/2012: EX 715; EQ - ; TU -
01/20/2014: EX - ; EQ - 669; TU -
01/23/2014: EX - ; EQ: 692; TU -
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Will this help me get a higher preapproval?

You should be able to use the new income as long as it is in the same line of work

I would check with the bank as that sounds like a portfolio program and they likely set their own rules

Good Luck

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 6
jaa97

Thanks, Brian!

I will definitely need to call NFCU to make sure, and they've been very helpful with answering any questions but I figured I'd check here first to get a quick answer so I don't seem naive when I call to ask Smiley Frustrated

05/2012: EX 715; EQ - ; TU -
01/20/2014: EX - ; EQ - 669; TU -
01/23/2014: EX - ; EQ: 692; TU -
Message 3 of 6
sham010379
New Contributor

how much do you have left on the car I would aim for paying that off with any savings you have. OR simply ask them they will tell you

Message 4 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@sham010379 wrote:

how much do you have left on the car I would aim for paying that off with any savings you have. OR simply ask them they will tell you

Yes^^^, paying off the car is a biggie. It's kind of funny. If you have no vehicle payment when you make application for a mortgage (and up thru closing) then the lender does all their calculations based on your not having a car payment so you qualify for more. Of course, you don't want your mortgage payment too high, but car payments are the biggest reasons most people qualify for 'less house' than they desire.

It helps that you are going to be making more too. Qualifying is really a math issue (assuming credit and documentation is in line).

Message 5 of 6
sham010379
New Contributor

Yes but removing a reachable debt will bring down your DTI... For me I only owe 6000 on my car vs. 90K for my student loan. Removing a 400 a month debt is more reachable for me and get me qualified for an higher amount
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.