cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will this hinder my chances for a mortgage?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will this hinder my chances for a mortgage?

I make my last car payment next month (June). In July or August I plan on applying for a mortgage. All three of my FICO scores are currently in the high 700's (774, 787, and 794). I read on here that someone paid off a loan and their scores dropped by 100 points. Can this really happen? If my scores drop by 100 points after my car loan is paid off will this affect the kind of loan and rate I would qualify for. I currently make $40,641, however, in August my salary will go up to $41,512. I have a student loan payment of $100 a month and a credit card payment of $300 a month. Is homeownership realistic for me right now or should I wait. My price range is $150,000 to $160,000. Thanks for any help.  
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Will this hinder my chances for a mortgage?

I doubt your scores will fall 100 points when you pay off your car loan, as your credit is already very strong.  Depending on what property taxes are where you are buying, and how much you plan on putting down, your debt to income ratio could look OK or it could look a little on the high side.  If you go with conventional financing, a 100 point drop would affect interest rates, but if you go with FHA then a 100 point drop wouldn't have any affect on rates.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Will this hinder my chances for a mortgage?

I agree with ShaneTheMainMan
The 'someone' who had scores drop 100 points probably didnt have your strong 700+ profile.
Makes me think that their file was pretty thin.... actually.

Maybe a better question for the credit forum?!?!?!
Retired Lender
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.