cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will we qualify for a mortgage? High DTI/Potential other problems

tag
greenmint

Will we qualify for a mortgage? High DTI/Potential other problems

My husband and I are hoping to buy our first home in 15-18 months (end of 2013). I'm working diligently right now to get our financial life in order, and wanted to know if this looks like it would get approved for an FHA mortgage.

1. Credit.  Mid scores are both around 700 right now, anticipate that they will be higher next year as we pay off more debt. Nothing bad on me, except lots of CC debt/high utilization. Husband has no CC debt, big student loans and a few lates 4-6 years ago.
  2. Income.  Gross we will be at $114K/year, $9500K/month
  3. Source of income. Paycheck
  4. Monthly debt payments.  $2036 in Student loans, anticipate CC minimums to be around $1200 a month.
  5. Employment We are currently both employed FT, W2 jobs. I've been here for 2 years, husband has been at his job for 4+ years. He is looking for another job, and this is a potential concern - if he gets another job and has only been there 6 months or so before we apply, will this be a negative? New job would be more money, and in the same field that he has been working in. We are both college graduates (BS for him, MS for me)
  6. Assets/Reserves.  We should have $15,000 liquid cash, Plus $13,000 in my 401K and $8,000 in his 401K
  7. Location.  Bristol County, MA.
  8. Property.  Single Family Home
  9. Value. $230,000-$260,000
  10. Occupancy.  Primary residence
  11. Transaction Type.  First time home purchase

I've run all the numbers, and I'm concerned because our back-end DTI would be around 50%. We (particularly my husband) owe a LOT in student loans, but have been faithfully paying them. I also have a decent amount of credit card debt that I have been working to pay off. I can get the DTI down, but it will require paying off more of the CC debt and having less in savings, and we are quite anxious to purchase something soon - potential growing family and all. I'm also worried because everything I read says that someone should be at a job for more than 2 years - my husband is actively searching for a new job right now, and if we make this happen in my anticipated timeline (15-18 months) he won't have been there the 2 years. Is he better off to wait to find something new?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will we qualify for a mortgage? High DTI/Potential other problems

@greenmint wrote:

My husband and I are hoping to buy our first home in 15-18 months (end of 2013). I'm working diligently right now to get our financial life in order, and wanted to know if this looks like it would get approved for an FHA mortgage.

1. Credit.  Mid scores are both around 700 right now, anticipate that they will be higher next year as we pay off more debt. Nothing bad on me, except lots of CC debt/high utilization. Husband has no CC debt, big student loans and a few lates 4-6 years ago.
  2. Income.  Gross we will be at $114K/year, $9500K/month
  3. Source of income. Paycheck
  4. Monthly debt payments.  $2036 in Student loans, anticipate CC minimums to be around $1200 a month.
  5. Employment We are currently both employed FT, W2 jobs. I've been here for 2 years, husband has been at his job for 4+ years. He is looking for another job, and this is a potential concern - if he gets another job and has only been there 6 months or so before we apply, will this be a negative? New job would be more money, and in the same field that he has been working in. We are both college graduates (BS for him, MS for me)
  6. Assets/Reserves.  We should have $15,000 liquid cash, Plus $13,000 in my 401K and $8,000 in his 401K
  7. Location.  Bristol County, MA.
  8. Property.  Single Family Home
  9. Value. $230,000-$260,000
  10. Occupancy.  Primary residence
  11. Transaction Type.  First time home purchase

I've run all the numbers, and I'm concerned because our back-end DTI would be around 50%. We (particularly my husband) owe a LOT in student loans, but have been faithfully paying them. I also have a decent amount of credit card debt that I have been working to pay off. I can get the DTI down, but it will require paying off more of the CC debt and having less in savings, and we are quite anxious to purchase something soon - potential growing family and all. I'm also worried because everything I read says that someone should be at a job for more than 2 years - my husband is actively searching for a new job right now, and if we make this happen in my anticipated timeline (15-18 months) he won't have been there the 2 years. Is he better off to wait to find something new?

Have you looked at getting on an income based repayment plan for the student loans, it might reduce your monthly student loan payment....

How much is left to pay on those student loans?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 5
greenmint

The majority of the student loans are Private, so they do not qualify for IBR - and the total balance is around $230,000 - yes, I know, its ridiculous, but we are doing the best we can with it. The loan terms have already been extended, so the payments are not going to be any lower than they already are.

Message 3 of 5
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Since you are going FHA, a 50 percent backend is fine.

Message 4 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Just did FHA and had only been at current job for 1.5 years.  Same field for 8 years.  It wasn't an issue.  They just verified my employment at my last job.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.