Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Experience Question

tag
roniram
Regular Contributor

Work Experience Question

Ok, so I have been working in tax accounting since July 2012.  In Nov 2013, I started working for myself when I recieved my Enrolled Agent license. (Tax accounting related license)  After 3 months, I started working for a temp agency for 3 months as a tax accountant, then collected unemployment for a few months until I could build up my clientle. So basically, I was able to start working as a full-time tax accountant since about August of 2014.  I am looking to purchase a home in October of 2015.  I will be able to provide a 9 month P&L by then with about 70K for this year, but for 2014, my income was about 40K.  Middle FICO should be about 730ish range by then, since I am paying off all my credit cards by then. My DTI would be in about the 30-35% range.

So, I am wondering with my slightly irratic work history (but all in the same job) do you think I may have a chance to qualify for a mortgage? 

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Work Experience Question

Are you W2 or self-employed at this point?  W2 I can't imagine there's any issue, self employed they may want to see more tenure as I understand it.

        
Message 2 of 5
roniram
Regular Contributor

I am self-employed.  Like I said, based on my current business, I will have a P&L (Profit and Loss) statement of about 70K for the first 9 months this year (I want to qualify for a mortgage to move around October/November when my lease is up.

My main concern is my unemeployment filing last year after the temp job ended.  I collected for 5 months until I was self-employed again in August 2014. 

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Self-employed income for qualifying purposes is determined by averaging the last 2 years of income. I'm sorry but I don't think you would qualify.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@roniram wrote:

I am self-employed.  Like I said, based on my current business, I will have a P&L (Profit and Loss) statement of about 70K for the first 9 months this year (I want to qualify for a mortgage to move around October/November when my lease is up.

My main concern is my unemeployment filing last year after the temp job ended.  I collected for 5 months until I was self-employed again in August 2014. 

I agree with Peter.  You need 2 years solid for self-employed to qualify.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.