Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would Home insurance go up?

tag
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

Would Home insurance go up?

I have water in my basement due to the heavy rains in the boston, ma area. We had rain for three days.  I wonder if I open a claim with my home insurance, will  it make my premium to go up?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would Home insurance go up?

You can bet on it.   Water damage claims are one of the three "red flag" claims (slip-and-falls and dog bites being the other two).

Water damage claims are usually followed later by mold damage claims.   So when you report the former they will squeeze you to make up for the probable latter claim.

Message 2 of 7
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

This was due to a city emergency rain. Most of the streets were blocked because you couldn't drive by it.

Message 3 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Wouldn't this be considered flood damage ?   All of my homeowner's policies specifically limit coverage for water damage, unless flood coverage is purchased seperately.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 7
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

IT might be considerable flood damage. I have little flood damages and if it will make my insurance go up, I won't open the claim.

Message 5 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If you are unsure about if you have flood coverage then you most likely do not have it - it is not included in standard homeowner policies and is purchased seperately.  

You could call in and ask your insurance company to verify your coverage without opening a claim.   Or you could probably file a claim and they will just deny it if you do not have flood coverage.   I doubt that either of these options would result in any future premium increases.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 7
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

If you are unsure about if you have flood coverage then you most likely do not have it - it is not included in standard homeowner policies and is purchased seperately.  

You could call in and ask your insurance company to verify your coverage without opening a claim.   Or you could probably file a claim and they will just deny it if you do not have flood coverage.   I doubt that either of these options would result in any future premium increases.

You were right. I just called them and I don't have flood coverage and there is a 30 days waiting period.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.