Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would I Qualify?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would I Qualify?

In following this excellent post (http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Do-I-qualify-for-a-mortgage-Info-that-is-needed/td-p/... here's my info. Curious how we'd fare.

Relatedly I'm also curious when the negatives would drop off. I think I saw my report once actually give a date of 11/2016 but that's no longer there.

1. Credit (Scores are FICO8)
    1. TU 765
    2. EQ 763
    3. EX 767
    4. Negatives: the 120+ lates happened after a serious accident, and were due to a combination of not knowing my options in terms of handling these in a way other than non-payment and being out of work; the other lates down the line were me foolishly not setting up autopay
      1. 3/2010 120 days late, $558 charge off (didn’t realize these were bad at the time or I certainly wouldn’t have done it).
      2. 2/2012 120 days late, line still open and current but frozen; 4/2012 30 days late
  2. Income
    1. Self: $100k/yr gross as W-2 salaried employee. I’m choosing to take less money even though the company is profitable and I could take more
    2. Wife: Grad student, no current income
  3. Source of income
    1. Self: W-2 from salaried co-founder position at software company (also own 32% of the company in the form of common stock; my shares are valued at ~$1.5mm)
  4. Monthly debt payments
    1. ~$200 in credit card payments (total balances are ~$6,100 and we pay more than the minimums)
    2. $234 in car payment, ~$6,500 balance
  5. Employment
    1. Self
      1. Current: co-founder of software company, since Feb 2015
      2. Past: software engineer making $130k/yr, Sept 2012 - Feb 2015
    2. Wife was previously employed at various companies making mid $50k range salary
  6. Assets
    1. ~$60k savings
  7. Location: FL, St. Johns county or TN, Davidson county
  8. Property: Single family home
  9. Value: $150k
  10. Occupancy: Primary residence and/or vacation home
  11. Txn type: Purchase
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would I Qualify?

@Anonymous wrote:

In following this excellent post (http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Do-I-qualify-for-a-mortgage-Info-that-is-needed/td-p/381846), here's my info. Curious how we'd fare.

Relatedly I'm also curious when the negatives would drop off. I think I saw my report once actually give a date of 11/2016 but that's no longer there.

1. Credit (Scores are FICO8)
    1. TU 765
    2. EQ 763
    3. EX 767
    4. Negatives: the 120+ lates happened after a serious accident, and were due to a combination of not knowing my options in terms of handling these in a way other than non-payment and being out of work; the other lates down the line were me foolishly not setting up autopay
      1. 3/2010 120 days late, $558 charge off (didn’t realize these were bad at the time or I certainly wouldn’t have done it).
      2. 2/2012 120 days late, line still open and current but frozen; 4/2012 30 days late
  2. Income
    1. Self: $100k/yr gross as W-2 salaried employee. I’m choosing to take less money even though the company is profitable and I could take more
    2. Wife: Grad student, no current income
  3. Source of income
    1. Self: W-2 from salaried co-founder position at software company (also own 32% of the company in the form of common stock; my shares are valued at ~$1.5mm)
  4. Monthly debt payments
    1. ~$200 in credit card payments (total balances are ~$6,100 and we pay more than the minimums)
    2. $234 in car payment, ~$6,500 balance
  5. Employment
    1. Self
      1. Current: co-founder of software company, since Feb 2015
      2. Past: software engineer making $130k/yr, Sept 2012 - Feb 2015
    2. Wife was previously employed at various companies making mid $50k range salary
  6. Assets
    1. ~$60k savings
  7. Location: FL, St. Johns county or TN, Davidson county
  8. Property: Single family home
  9. Value: $150k
  10. Occupancy: Primary residence and/or vacation home
  11. Txn type: Purchase

Credit: Scores are awesome. Most lenders price the same at 740+ or 760+, so you should be okay. The lates shouldn't affect you, but as I mentioned to another poster earlier, the lender may require you to pay the charge-off in full. The lender I used to underwrite for would require all charge offs to be PIF.

Income: You will unfortunately run into a big snag with being recently self-employed with only 4 months on the job. Lenders generally require at least a year of self-employment history documented on your tax returns, sometimes two. The reason is because with only four months history with your own company, they have no idea if that business will continue to be successful/profitable or not. The most secure, safe way to gauge that is by looking at 1 or 2 years of verified returns, evaluating the income trend, and seeing that you are stable.

With all of that said, I think next year when you get your 2015 returns filed and you're showing stable income and a financially sound business (they'll ask for your biz returns as well), they'll evaluate that along with your past history earning similar amounts in the same line of work, and consider you a good risk. I know that makes entrepreneurship sound like a penalty, which it shouldn't be (congrats on starting your own business!) but lenders appreciate stability more than anything and 4 months with your own company is, in their eyes, a big question mark.

Sorry that might not be the answer you want... but best of luck to you!

Message 2 of 20
CaSHMeRe
New Contributor

You will need to show self employment income (W2 salaried or draws ~ it doesn't matter) for atleast 2 years.

So ... 2015 and 2016 ... Outside of a local CU or local bank, I just don't see you getting around the 2 year minimum.

Message 3 of 20
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...the only thing I'd add to the prior poster is that 60k in savings going for 150k home with your scores is going to be a very positive factor in your mortgage search ...plus you have 3 years of stable W2 wage history in your current IRS files

...I'd want to see your mortgage scores before saying anything else ...they can vary +/- 50 points or more from your 08 scores ...spend the $40 to pull your 3B and lets see if the mortgage scores hold up ...if they do, I'd think you'll have a good chance of finding a lender willing to give you a mortgage even with your 4mt problem ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think if your mortgage scores are high you have a good chance at finding lenders that will work with you! 

Message 5 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I think self-employed for you is a misnomer...

ETA: I was wrong, mea culpa.

        
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, thanks so much for the reply. On the chargeoffs, how would paying those even work? Should I try to contact the lender now and do that? Would it drop the item off my report? And how long for the other negatives to drop? Anything else I can do to make sure this isn't an issue?

My mortgage scores are 768/769/790.

What, hypothetically, is the low range of "great scores" where I wouldn't have an issue on that front? 700? 720? etc. 

Re: self-employment, we have plenty of cash and revenue so barring some catastrophe, I should still be gainfully employed Smiley Happy  It's a bit odd since the business has been around since 2013, but was spun out of where I previously was employed. So on paper, it's new, but it has a few years of history. Complicated, I know.

Thanks again for the response!

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting, thanks!

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, thanks so much for the reply. On the chargeoffs, how would paying those even work? Should I try to contact the lender now and do that? Would it drop the item off my report? And how long for the other negatives to drop? Anything else I can do to make sure this isn't an issue?

My mortgage scores are 768/769/790.

What, hypothetically, is the low range of "great scores" where I wouldn't have an issue on that front? 700? 720? etc. 

Re: self-employment, we have plenty of cash and revenue so barring some catastrophe, I should still be gainfully employed Smiley Happy  It's a bit odd since the business has been around since 2013, but was spun out of where I previously was employed. So on paper, it's new, but it has a few years of history. Complicated, I know.

Thanks again for the response!

Paying off a charge-off won't drop the item on your report, but it will reduce it to a zero balance which your mortgage lender will most likely want to see (again this is an area where each lender varies, the ones I have seen require them to be PIF). Check with the creditor to see if they would do a PFD - Pay For Delete, as this will be most beneficial for your score.

Honestly score doesn't make a big difference in qualification as much as people think it does. Anything 740+ is generally enough to get the best pricing, and most lenders employ a risk-based pricing model to price anything between that and usually 620. So you do start to see pricing hits at 730, 720 depending on the other factors (for example, an LTV (Loan To Value ratio) below 60% usually wipes out a lot of pricing hits for FICO) Basically the lender tacks on additional points the riskier the loan gets from a FICO/LTV standpoint, and then once you get below 620 most won't do the loan at all. You shouldn't have anything to worry about with those scores though. 

The lates are not a big deal as long as your score is good (which it is) and you get AU (Automated Underwriting) approval which they'll be able to tell you right away. I don't expect it being an issue since they're from 2012. Beyond that there  usually isn't a guideline on lates. Sometimes if you're taking out mortgage insurance (+80% LTV) the MI company will have a guideline overlay about how many lates you can have in the past XX months to qualify, but yours are too old to fall under that.

I'm sorry but as an ex-underwriter I have to disagree with the previous poster about just telling your LO that you're not self employed. Traditional lender definition of self-employment is if you own 25% or more of the business or if you engage in contract work (1099/Sch C). This is the guideline used by the two major GSEs (Fannie/Freddie). It has nothing to do with how you pay yourself and in fact paying yourself via W-2 while owning the business is quite common. The app will specifically ask if you're self-employed (which you are) as will your LO, so not telling them this would amount to misrepresentation.

In terms of business age, lenders are going to look at how long the business has been on your returns for, and calc the income by looking at not only what you pay yourself, but by doing what's called a "cash flow analysis" based on the business returns. The major GSEs only permit this to be calculated off of validated federal tax returns, and with a 1 or mostly 2 year history to prove over time that the income from the business is stable and likely to continue. Some local credit unions might go out on a limb for you if you're lucky, but in general any normal conventional lender that sells to a GSE (i.e. virtually all of them) is going to have their hands tied on this one with only 4 months SE history. I would not sink any money into it right now though as there's a good chance it won't pan out this year.

Message 9 of 20
Lemmus
Established Contributor

https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/selling/b3/3.2/01.html

...I think that's definitive as far as FM loans go ...which is a very long way ...the pp is correct as far as he goes ...but he only goes to his own experience

...if your Fico mortgage scores hold above 740, I still believe that you will find a "portfolio" lender more than willing to work with you ...there are a number of lenders who will hold your mortgage themselves and not sell it into the FM aftermarket ...and thus are able to and will consider your actual income history as well as the business's in a positive light ...you will likely pay more in rates but then thats also true if you wait another 8 mts because rates appear likely to rise ...are rising.

...I'd get those mortgage scores ...if the middle score is 740+, I'd get on the phone with your realtor asking for recommendations for portfolio lenders they have worked with successfully ...any large realty has done this and many lesser ones, its not a small market.

...you'll get a lot of feedback here ...all of it is colored by the personal experience and knowledge of those providing it ...that implies limits ...including my own ...but it also implies there are solutions to most mortgage problems ...which is why this forum exists ...to find a way to "yes" if such indeed exists however difficult the route may be ...hth 

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.