Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would I be able to get a mortgage?

tag
seruby
Frequent Contributor

Would I be able to get a mortgage?

So after realizing I've been renting apartments for 10 years and spent close to $175,000 on rent, and getting into a better financial and credit situation, I'm looking to buy a house within the next year.   

Here are answers to questions posed in the sticky above:

Credit.  What are your credit scores and if you have any, what negatives (collections, charge-offs, late payments, BK's, judgments, tax liens, back owed child support, etc.) are on are credit and if they are owing or not.  When were the negatives, this is important, month/year is preferred, such as 3/07.  

Credit Scores:  EQ-662, TU-644, EX-654

Have 2 accounts in collections from 2012 - 1 for 990 for rent owed (doesn't show DofD online) 1 for $3850 for charged off card.  3 cards charged off in 2/2013 with DofD of 8/2012.   An auto repo in 5/2012, DoFD 1/2012.    2012 was just a really bad year.

Income.  Gross income is what is important when qualifying, not net income.  

Currently making $89,600/yr.   I work full time, but as a contractor.

Monthly debt payments.  This goes hand in hand with income and the new mortgage payment to determine your debt to income (DTI) ratio.  Only items on credit is the general rule, but also items such as alimony, child support, union dues and some other work related expenses are included too.  Only the minimum required payment amount is what underwriters are concerned with.  

Car loan $410 (am currently a month ahead on this),  Credit cards typically no more than $30.

Employment (for those who are employed).  What type of employment such as self-employed, S-corp, W-2'd, 1099'd, part-time, full time, 2nd job, etc.  How long have you been on the job & how long have you been in the industry.  A 2 year employment history is what most loan programs require.  

As mentioned above, contract work.   I've been in my current position since September 2012, but have been working fairly steadily since 2005.

Assets/Reserves.  This is to determine how much you could potentially have as a down payment and also as reserves to help qualify (for example if your debt to income ratio is high this could help qualify you anyway).  

Only have checking and savings accounts.  Currently have roughly $3900 saved.   Can save roughly $1500-2000 every month.

Location.  Preferable Bucks County, PA

Property.  Don't have a place in mind yet, but definitely a house - no condo/townhouse/etc.

Value.    Based on zillow, most homes around here go from 200-300k
Occupancy.  Currently renting @ 1140/month
Transaction Type.  Purchase

I'm planning on talking with my credit union this coming weekend.   Any tips/suggestions/concerns that might impact me getting a mortgage?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

Re: Would I be able to get a mortgage?

Do u get W2's?

Message 2 of 7
seruby
Frequent Contributor

@sports1965 wrote:

Do u get W2's?

Yup.  W-2s, taxes withheld.

Message 3 of 7
seruby
Frequent Contributor

So my boss told me yesterday they're keeping me on for at least another year - definitely good news.   I also called EQ and EX to have some dispute comment removed (had them removed from TU a while ago but never got around to EQ & EX).  They said it should take 24-72 hours, so we'll see Friday the impact that has on my score.  Anything else I should do?   Am I good enough to get an FHA loan (I know I won't have 20% for a conventional loan) ?

Message 4 of 7
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

i think the onlyy problem is about job stability

lenders will be concerned about long term job stability

sonce it looks like you are an year to year contrctor that could be a problem

Message 5 of 7
seruby
Frequent Contributor

Yea I was thinking about that too.   But maybe they'll see that despite being all contract roles, I've been working since 2005 (not counting high school & college), except for a short time in 2011 - hence why everything fell apart in 2012.  

Couldn't the argument be made though that even full time jobs aren't really guaranteed long term?  Like, who's to say that next month, some positions in a company won't be eliminated, or a merger occurs, and people lose their jobs?  I actually feel safer knowing I'm contracted for a full year.

Message 6 of 7
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

I am in what is called a "fixed term" position. It is only funded/guaranteed for a certain amount of time. Navy Fed had a problem with and said the underwriter might not let us count it. We didn't finish the process with them so I don't know how it would have turned out. Wells Fargo didn't have any issue with it.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.