cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would I be considered a First Time Homebuyer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would I be considered a First Time Homebuyer?

I personally never owned a home. DH has.  We do not currently own and he hasn't since since March 2007.

But I was told by a real estate agent that I would not qualify for the tax credit since my DH has owned in the past.....  

Please help!

TIA Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would I be considered a First Time Homebuyer?

I THINK that's correct.   It has to be three years since he last owned a home.
Message Edited by mrscharlie on 07-08-2009 11:24 AM
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I THINK that's correct.   It has to be three years since he last owned a home.
Message Edited by mrscharlie on 07-08-2009 11:24 AM

What is the definition of a first-time home buyer?
The law defines "first-time home buyer" as a buyer who has not owned a principal residence during the three-year period prior to the purchase. For married taxpayers, the law tests the homeownership history of both the home buyer and his/her spouse.

For example, if you have not owned a home in the past three years but your spouse has owned a principal residence, neither you nor your spouse qualifies for the first-time home buyer tax credit. However, unmarried joint purchasers may allocate the credit amount to any buyer who qualifies as a first-time buyer, such as may occur if a parent jointly purchases a home with a son or daughter. Ownership of a vacation home or rental property not used as a principal residence does not disqualify a buyer as a first-time home buyer.

I saw this on the website http://www.federalhousingtaxcredit.com/2009/index.html

Is this right?  Seems a bit unfair and confusing........

Message 3 of 7
salsa34
New Contributor

That is correct...you don't qualify.  This is preventing me from getting the credit too, it stinks, but that's the way it is.  IRS has its own definitions of things.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I personally never owned a home. DH has.  We do not currently own and he hasn't since since March 2007.

But I was told by a real estate agent that I would not qualify for the tax credit since my DH has owned in the past.....  

Please help!

TIA Smiley Happy

It really depends.  When he owned that home has he LIVED in it within the last 3 years, i.e. has it been his primary residence? If it has been rented out for 3 years or more or he has been living somewhere else as his primary residence then you will both still qualify 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have been renting the last three years after him owning.  We own no primary residence and haven't since we closed on the sale March 31, 2007.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is rented and has been for the last three years without either of you owning a residence for yourselves in that time period then you will qualify
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.