cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would an auto refi hurt chances for FHA?

tag
flinjami83
New Contributor

Would an auto refi hurt chances for FHA?

We are trying to lower our bills to save more $ for our down payement. We are looking to buy a home in about 3 months so I'm wondering if we did a refinance on our auto loan right now would it hurt our chances to be approved for an FHA loan? Credit score is currently 621 (husbands).

Starting Score: 595 (2/22/13)
Current Score: FICO 624 (4/22/2014)
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Mrs_hambright
Frequent Contributor

Re: Would an auto refi hurt chances for FHA?

What is holding your scores down? I don't know about the refi.. I am going to do my refi the day I close!! I hope a pro has a good answer for you.
Message 2 of 8
flinjami83
New Contributor

The only thing I know holding them down is the length of open credit cards is less than 2 years (all on time payments) and maybe the utilization of the cards. We are paying down the balances majorly before we get pre-qualified though so the score should go up. I wish I knew how much b/c that might open up more types of mortgage loans we could qualify for. There is one judgement that is old (it was paid but it wasn't showing that it was paid so I disputed it). And one old car repo that I've been told not to even mess with because it's so old. 

Starting Score: 595 (2/22/13)
Current Score: FICO 624 (4/22/2014)
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Mrs_hambright
Frequent Contributor

Put your limits & the utilization in the rebuilding forum & they could help you more
Message 4 of 8
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

If it impacts the scores it might change your eligibility (many banks want a 620 score) as far as the refi that is not an issue - lower payments make perfect sense - 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@flinjami83 wrote:

We are trying to lower our bills to save more $ for our down payement. We are looking to buy a home in about 3 months so I'm wondering if we did a refinance on our auto loan right now would it hurt our chances to be approved for an FHA loan? Credit score is currently 621 (husbands).

I refinanced my auto loan just before submitting my mortgage application for FHA loan. No big deal.

With a 621 score, foucs on reducing your auto loan payments then getting that score above 640 before applying. That is my 2 cents ...

Message 6 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Reducing your car payment helps with DTI, not score. If you are tight on your DTI then do the refi. If you aren't tight on your DTI (with the new mortgage payment factors in) then don't do the refi.

I agree with EZ about working on your utilization. How many cards do you have and how many have balances? What are the balances showing on your cc's (% utilizaiton)?

You get heavily dinged for heavy utilization and if you carry balances on 50% or more of your cards. Best to only have a balance on one card at less than 9% of the credit limit report. Have the others report zero. I realize that this is not always possible. But a reduction in the utilization ought to increase your score. Having only two years AAoA shouldn't result in a low score at all. At least heavy utilization is the easiest thing to fix Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
madmann26
Valued Contributor

A refinance will mean a new account usually and your AAoA will take a hit. I'd work on until first and not touch your AAoA.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.