Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would like a mortgage -- sooner or later

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would like a mortgage -- sooner or later

I make about $35k/year and have been at my job for two years.

I have about $2600 in bills and am working on paying $1600 by June.  $1k is on 0% interest for a year so I'm paying it off during that 12 months which just started in January.

I am married, but don't really want to get a house w/spouse (separated).  I want it in my name only.  I live in TX, so I know it's community property anyway.

I believe it's Experian where my score is 679.  I don't have the others.  I also won't have much to put down ... okay probably not a dang thing ....

I will be needing a new car sometime this year but hopefully not!  It's 10 years old.  I have been hanging on to my car for dear life.  It has been paid off for years.  My car died on me twice last year but was repaired.  I'm afraid I'll need a new car before I get my home.

BTW, the spouse makes maybe more than $85k, but I don't want to involve him.  I may at a later time...depending on what happens with us for the kids' sake.  I don't know his real score/income.

Please give advice.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would like a mortgage -- sooner or later

I mean ... will I even qualify?  Is it worth even getting my credit checked?  How much do you "think" I could qualify for ... with no money down?
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Micaela,
Before you talk about qualifying, let's talk about what you can afford.  Sometimes you qualify for more than what you can handle.  I think you should assume some type of car payment when you work out what you would be ok spending on a mortgage.  I'm not saying get a car before the house, but it sounds like you'll need one sooner than later so plan ahead.  I know this sounds like a pain, but it really is the most responsible way to start.  Once you come up with a housing number (say $1000), then you would subtract taxes and insurance from the payment (maybe $100 for taxes, $40 for insurance) and you have $860 monthly (includes PMI, maybe $50, on FHA or MyComm which you could get for $0 down likely).  So you have $810 per month you are willing to spend on P/I, which at 6.75% (high cushion) you could 'afford' a $125,000 home.  Possible you could qualify at that, especially without the car, but you might look at what you have left over every month and realize you need more to live on.  Accept that you will make some sacrifices for home ownership but with children you definitely need some discretionary income.  Generally the borrowers I have that find a number they can afford, 9 out of 10 times they qualify, gee imagine that.  The other 1 time they miscalculated... Smiley Wink

The 3 main areas of qualifying are income (stability), credit and strength of home value.  You have the stable income and credit it appears, it's a matter of how much you can afford (and qualify).

2nd, ask yourself what your future plans are.  You seem to be stuck in something with an unclear future at the moment.  I would caution that it is NOT the best time to buy.  Who knows what will happen a year from now (get back together but he refuses to live in your house, etc.).  You don't want to be upside down on a home you financed for 100%.  My suggestion is plan for a house when you clear up your marriage situation, especially for the legal ramifications.  You can also decide whether what you can 'afford' is going to be good enough for your family. 

Message 4 of 5
tryingtogetitrightnow
Regular Contributor

Hi Micaela,

I'd agree with phxdevil. Since you're separated, I'm guessing that means a divorce is possible in the next year or so. That would probably be more complicated if you buy a home before then. Also, if your husband's income is 3x yours and the kids are with you most of the time, then I think it would be reasonable to expect some child support. You might want to wait until you get all of those things stabilized.

By the way, I lived in the house with my ex-wife for 6 months after it was over before finally moving out and now realize that it really is better to finalize things (for the kids, and both parents) sooner rather than later if that is going to be the eventual outcome. Our children were young (2 and 4) when we divorced, and I think it was much easier on them because they were young. I know those decisions are never easy, though.

I'm planning to be a house in the November to December timeframe, and really don't see any advantage to buying before that time. I don't think anyone is projecting for home values to increase much before then and they may even drop in a lot of areas, and in general homes sell for less in that timeframe than in Spring/Summer timeframe.

Good luck!!

Starting Scores:10/09/13 EX ???; EQ 661; TU 668
Current Scores: 11/23/13 EX 655; EQ 679; TU 705
Goal Scores:700+ for all
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.