Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would these points help me in getting a mortgage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would these points help me in getting a mortgage

I am 21, only lived in the US for just over 2 years and have worked full time at two jobs 3/4 of the time I have been here (same line of work).

Is 2 years work experience a requirement for a mortgage.

Would me having a higher downpayment of 20-50% be a factor that would greatly help my chances or not so much?

What about applying for a 15 year over a 30 year fixed?

Or co-signing with my fiance?

Does the mortgage size matter either? I am thinking of applying for a $70-100k mortgage in the next year or so and know the average in my area is close to 230k.

Would any of these things help when applying, considering my situation and credit scores.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would these points help me in getting a mortgage

Tyrex is lookin for a mortgage and came in askin-

Is 2 years work experience a requirement for a mortgage.  

In your situation I'd say yes.

Would me having a higher downpayment of 20-50% be a factor that would greatly help my chances or not so much?

Greatly enhance

What about applying for a 15 year over a 30 year fixed?

Dunno

Or co-signing with my fiance?

Might

Does the mortgage size matter?
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes in real estate purchases.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hahah thank you!

But I guess this is what I ultimately wanted to know:

Would the larger downpayment of say 50% make up for the fact I have less than 2 years employment?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Technically, I guess it is possible.

From Fannie Mae:

"A minimum history of two years of employment income is recommended. However, income that has been received for a shorter period of time may be considered as acceptable income, as long as the borrower’s employment profile demonstrates that there are positive factors to reasonably offset the shorter income history.

Borrowers relying on overtime or bonus income for qualifying purposes must have a history of no less than 12 months to be considered stable."

For the second job:

"Verification of a minimum history of two years of uninterrupted secondary employment income is recommended. However, income that has been received for a shorter period of time (no less than 12 months) may be considered as acceptable income, as long as there are positive factors to reasonably offset the shorter income history."

FHA:

"For all Employment related Income, the Mortgagee must verify the Borrower’s most recent two years of employment and income."

While it is possible, it won't fly with many lenders. The two-year rule is usually pretty firm, but it couldn't hurt to ask your prospective lender. Smaller loan amounts with compensating factors often have a better chance with things like this.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.