Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Years of Service on the Job.

tag
Ewalker33
New Contributor

Years of Service on the Job.

I have worked for my current employer for 14 years and I am 32 years old. I am looking to change jobs, but I want to purchase a house next year when my credit score comes up. Will changing jobs affect me getting a home loan?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Years of Service on the Job.

If yiu changed jobs and stayed in the same field of work, that will not present any major challenge for obtaining a mortgage. My recommendation would be to stay in the job until you buy the house and then switch jobs. It will be much less complicated. Besides, if you are seeking to buy a resale, you could wrap up that transaction in less than 120 days easily ... provided that you make relatively quick decisions and cut a deal.

Message 2 of 9
Ewalker33
New Contributor

The new job will not be in the same field of work unfortunantly. How much will this affect the loan approval?

Message 3 of 9
pm11222

I know people say you should stay in the same line of work, but I worked one job for 1.5 years and then switched careers and had been on that job 6 months when I applied and had no issues with approval. I do have degrees in both fields, but I wasn't asked to explain

3/15/14 Mortgage lender pull: Equifax 790, TU 775, Experian 764
4/21/14 Mortgage lender pull: Equifax 782, TU 780, Experian 751
Message 4 of 9
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

If you can tie the work together then you may be ok - in a situation like this the more time at the new job the better off you will be - Hopefully it is a nice step up and the income will show why you changed - that always helps

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 5 of 9
Ewalker33
New Contributor

I have been fighting professionally for about 6 years while working my normal job that I have worked out for the past 14 years. I'm looking to venture over to the training and fighting as my main source of income. It does not pay as much and that's why I'm concerned about a mortagage approval on a new home.

Message 6 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Ewalker33 wrote:

I have been fighting professionally for about 6 years while working my normal job that I have worked out for the past 14 years. I'm looking to venture over to the training and fighting as my main source of income. It does not pay as much and that's why I'm concerned about a mortagage approval on a new home.

Would you be employed or self-employed?   Would you be making salary or how would you be getting paid?

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 7 of 9
Ewalker33
New Contributor

I would be self employed working out of a gym with a monthly salary and also self employed fighting for different promotions around the world. Same as I'm doing now, except the fight salary would no longer be extra income, it would become a main source of it.

Message 8 of 9
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Self-employment typically needs 2 years to qualify, but 1 year may be acceptable if going FHA if you were previously employed in the same line of work in which you are  self-employed or in a related occupation for at least two years.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.