Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Regular Contributor

You do not have to pay for foreclosure listings

Tonight I was trying to find foreclosure listings in our area. Every website I went to said 7 day free trial and they wanted me to pay to look at foreclosures...can you imagine? I mean I bet you can but how rude.

Anyways, I was sitting here trying to think of a way I could see foreclosures myself and guess what....

All counties have a register of deeds or property look up website and generally you can search by owner name.

If you type in the name of banks, it will show you all homes owned by that bank. In my county (Mecklenburg County) they show you pictures of the realestate as well.

You can search by address, owner, etc.

I typed in owners like:

And I came up with a pretty extensive "FREE" list of foreclosures. After that, I just went to google, plugged in the address and found a realtor that had it listed. It's been working great for me all evening so I thought I'd share. This might work in your county as well.

Regular Contributor

Re: You do not have to pay for foreclosure listings

Awesome!!!!  Thanks for sharing!
Regular Contributor

There's a Sheriff's list in my county but it's wildly inaccurate.   The only accurate picture of what is really on foreclosure and actually headed to auction is the final bid notice, which is hard to find because they postpone auctions and change the dates a lot, plus with the housing situation a lot of last minute forebearances and court-ordered workouts complicate matters.

REO is a bit simpler.   Most of those houses found no bidders at auction so the seller is way motivated to unload the asset.    A lot of landlords/investment buyers got burned in the recession so the interest in converting foreclosures to rentals is low here.

EQ: 801!
I got one foot in the 800 Club, now I need the other two feet.
Valued Member

thanks, I really appreciate it
New Visitor

If you looked up the listings by bank ownership and found the realtors name, wouldn't it have been easier to just look up properties for sale from any realtor in your area? Once it's on the MLS, every realtor can see it and list it anyway...

New Contributor

Zillow lists foreclosures on the site. You can also use the filter function to specifically sort for foreclosures.

Valued Contributor

Just be mindful of the info on recorder's sites as well as zillow.  Just because a house is listed as a foreclosure, or even REO, it could still be under a redemption period and may not be open to buyers yet.  So don't fall in love with anything that you find by using these search methods!!!  

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
New Visitor

[ Edited ]

You should never have to pay to view foreclosure listings. I think the kind of sites that charge are those that are affiliated with realtors that basically do all the work for you. Where I live, in Oregon, they keep a full list of current online.

Mod - link cut.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.