cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero Balance Amounts and DTI

tag
hyperbole

Zero Balance Amounts and DTI

Just a quick question. If my credit cards are showing a zero balance on my credit report, does the minimum payment still have to be counted for my DTI since I could still use that card in the future or does it count as zero?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
edcampbell613
Contributor

Re: Zero Balance Amounts and DTI

Nope!

as long as they are at 0 there should be no calculation of payment affecting your DTI (debt to income)

Message 2 of 9
RnJ
Contributor

I was reading on a banker's site recently where the LO would "estimate" monthly payments (counting 5%) of total limit for each card account if the report was showing zero balances.  Can they do that?

Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@RnJ wrote:

I was reading on a banker's site recently where the LO would "estimate" monthly payments (counting 5%) of total limit for each card account if the report was showing zero balances.  Can they do that?

From information I've read here they don't do that.  If they did, I'd go find a different lender.

There's really not much point anyway, they get your bank statements and your tax returns: it's not a long walk to figure out your income vs. your spending pattern and see if you can realistically afford the mortgage payment or not.  Credit cards that you're not carrying a balance on almost by definition fall into the other 57% of one's financial life.

        
Message 4 of 9
RnJ
Contributor

Thanks, Revelate, good to know.  I didn't think it made much sense, and couldn't figure out why they would do such a thing, unless perhaps on a jumbo-loan or borderline loan - even then, you're right, the bank statements produced should be enough to determine.

Message 5 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

In years gone by it was standard for LOs to include DTI using max out on your cards CL, this practice is long gone, my local CU doesnt even use how much credit I already have available in DTI calcs in deciding whether to give me a personal loan or CLI on my plat visa with them they only take into consideration what I actually owe..

Message 6 of 9
hyperbole

Thanks, all! I'd been reading conflicting information, so I was a bit nervous. It didn't seem right that they would count them just because you COULD use them.
Message 7 of 9
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I think I remember they used my minimum payment on my CCs in my DTI. But since they were so low it didnt add up to much.

Message 8 of 9
edcampbell613
Contributor

You need to find another lender, are you dealing with a big bank? They love to put in overlays

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.