cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amended tax return for homebuyer credit...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amended tax return for homebuyer credit...

Thank you both for your help. I was also given several different answers by different people at the IRS. I was told people were getting impatient and sending in their forms before they even close on their house!! This is definitely delaying everyone else's check. I guess I will try to be patient and I will hopefully be getting a check very soon! Thanks again.
Message 11 of 667
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

We called last Thursday and were told they had no record of it. (sent off May 7th). Today, they have it in their system and it is processing.

Be careful about jumping the gun. Smiley Happy

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 12 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you filed last year and requested direct deposit will they do the same when you send in the ammendement?
Message 13 of 667
brighterday
Contributor

My understanding is that all refunds from amended returns will be issued via check.

We mailed our amended return on 6/11.  I called yesterday and was told that processing was completed on 6/24 and we should receive the check within 2 - 3 weeks of that date.  I'll update this post when it's received.

Message 14 of 667
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

I mailed mine on June 1st and I'm concerned about the address that I sent it. I mailed mine to:

Department Of Treasury

Internal Revenue Service Center

Andover, Ma 05501

This doesn't seem like a real address and that was the address I received from Turbo tax.  its been about 5 weeks since I sent it and I don't know if I should call   them to verify if they have received it.

Message 15 of 667
brighterday
Contributor

I mailed my return to a similar address in Atlanta.  Your home state determines which location to mail to.  Here's a link: Where to file tax returns.
Message 16 of 667
SilverBerries
Contributor

They received my amended return on June 4th, according to the certified time stamp. How are you checking on your return? Are you using the 1-800 number on the IRS.gov site? If so, what amount do you use for the return amount, just the $8000 or the entire 2008 return amount including what you may have already gotten back? I'm not sure of the process to use to check the status of my amended return.

Thanks,

SilverBerries

Message 17 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

I bought my home on 5-15-09. I amended my return and called the IRS to make sure that I didn't need any additional forms or proof of purchase. A rep stated that all I needed to mail is two forms: the 1040 X and the 5405. The forms were super easy to complete! To find where to mail your amended return, click here: http://www.irs.gov/file/article/0,,id=109750,00.html. I mailed my forms on 5-19.

The IRS website states that you can't view the status of a refund on an amended return online; you have to call to get the status. On 6-24, I called the IRS at 800-829-0582 and pressed X462. After being on hold for about 20 minutes, a rep said that my return was received on 5-26. I called again on 7-6 and, after being on hold for about 20 minutes, a rep stated that a check was mailed on 7-3. It appears that the IRS will only issue a paper check on this credit/refund. 

Message Edited by jinjerly on 07-06-2009 01:49 PM
Message 18 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called again this morning to check the status of mine, which will be exactly 10 weeks since I mailed it off. They STILL have no record of it. Not sure of what to do now. I will give it a couple more weeks until it hits the 12 week deadline and probably resend it if they still have no record of it. I am in Arizona so I am hoping they are just extra busy here and will get to it in the next week or so. Smiley Happy We will see if that is the case...  
Message 19 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

How are they verifying closing/purchases?  Do they contact local gov't, state gov't??  I'm just curious if it is these agencies that are adding additonal processing time as well to the IRS time.

Thanks

Message 20 of 667
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.