cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amended tax return for homebuyer credit...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: amended tax return for homebuyer credit...

I know...I felt a little bad posting today because I know a lot of you are still waiting, and I would hate people like me. Hopefully you all see a check soon!!!
Message 361 of 667
angie204
Contributor

I read a news story that stated that if you have claimed a mortgage interest deduction in the last three years that your tax credit/ammendment will automatically be flagged and pulled out.  I sold my previous home in July of 2006, and bought this home in October of 2009.  So I'm going to assume that my request will be delayed. 

Does it make more sense for me to attach a copy of the HUD from the other sale, and the HUD from the recent purchase and just mail it? 

My Scores:
10/09: EQ 653, TU 656; 8/09 FICO Lender: EQ 652, TU 646, EX 659 10/11: EQ 672, TU 679 EXP Lender 680

Chapter 7 BK Discharged Aug 29, 2007.
Message 362 of 667
ronq
Regular Contributor

I'm really tired of the whole amended process.

4/8 IRS received amended return

called at 8 weeks still processing

called at 12 weeks under review

called at 14 weeks in examinations

called Sept.1 told It went into examinations on Aug. 17. I will receive letter within 30 days from the 17th.

Sept. 29 receive letter asking for HUD-1

Sept 30 faxed in HUD-1

called Oct. 12 to verify they received HUD-1. Not showing in computer yet call back in a week.

called Oct. 19 fax received Sept. 30 told it may take 30 to 60 days for examiner to look at it. call back end of Nov.

This whole process is crazy. I should have waited until 2009 taxes since my income really isn't going up much from 2008 I would get about the same amount for the credit. 

EX. 780 TU 794.
Message 363 of 667
michael2323jordan
Established Member

Ok Here's my deal.

I filed my 1040EZ from a different address back on February 2009.

I moved into the house (I eventually bought) on May 25 2009.  (change of address form at the USPS filed in the beginning of May in anticipation of my move).

I closed on said home September 30 2009.

I filed my amended 1040x as well as the 5405 (and send my HUD 1 form as well) to the Fresno CA IRS office return receipt (sent on October 7, 2009 and RECEIVED in Fresno October 10, 2009).  On the 1040x I put my CURRENT address (of the home I just purchased).

I called the IRS last night (October 28, 2009) and got a kind gentleman that asked me a bunch of questions about how I filed my ORIGINAL 1040EZ (electronically) and what address was on it as well as what address was on my amended (1040x) form.  After a few minutes on hold he came back and said that I was fully processed and the checks are cut on Fridays usually, so that mine would be cut either THIS Friday (October 30, 2009) or next Friday (November 6, 2009).

That seems to be one of THE QUICKEST turnarounds that I've heard of to date.

Just thought I would share my experience.  I DO NOT have my check yet--but it was nice to know that there didn't appear to be any hiccups like others have experienced.

Dan

Message 364 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was informed by the IRS yesterday that if your address included a P.O. box, you were most certainly going to inspections. She said it was taking 8-12 wks to get to inspection and then another 8-12 weeks to get a check. I have a P.O. box because that's the only thing available in my area. I'm expecting a long wait, but thats ok with me because it's just for savings anyway. I was just letting others that may be filing to know that if you do have a P.O. box, at least send your Hud1 and maybe it wont be such a long wait. I did not send mine.
Message 365 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, so I called the IRS today and they told me I have the dreaded letter coming. They say it was sent off on October 28th. My question is has anyone in Atlanta been sent the exam letter and if so, what was the fax number on it., I had a nice lady on the phone with me today and she told me what they needed and I would like to go ahead and fax it in. Another question is, Is your file number your social security number?
Message 366 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay guys, here's my timeline: 

Mailed 5405, 1040X, and HUD 1 forms - 9/9/09

Received by IRS - 9/11/09

Realized that I was not suppose to enter my OLD address at the top of the 1040X form - sent in Change of Address - 9/28/09

Change of Address received by IRS - 10/8/09

Called for update 10/26/09 - was told that check will be mail on 10/30/09!!! 

Update: My check was waiting for me in my mailbox yesterday (Monday, November 2) when I got home from work, with a full $166.00 in interest!! Weehoo!!

Message Edited by -RazziTammi- on 11-03-2009 06:32 AM
Message 367 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update on my status:

Mailed amended return April 28

Return received by IRS May 1

Called every couple weeks for months, found out I was in exam, exam center had to be faxed after the 45 days in exam was reached, finally received a letter requesting my HUD-1 on September 24 (dated September 15)

Sent in HUD-1, told they received it on October 8

Called this morning, I was told that they have 60 days to process my paperwork after they've received it.

I'm not holding out any hope here.  At this point, I'll be lucky if I get my check by next April 15, let alone the end of the year.  I'm sitting at over 6 months right now.  My filed taxes were extremely simple, I've never owned a home before, I wrote my new address on my amended return, and I don't have a PO box.  There is absolutely NO reason my file should have been sent to exam in the first place, and no reason that it should be taking this long.

Message 368 of 667
michael2323jordan
Established Member

You are correct krsb09.  Your situation doesn't seem any different from mine, except I did send in my 1040x, 5405, AND HUD-1 all together.  Last year my taxes were easy as pie--1040EZ.  I did fill out ALOT more on the 1040x than it seems people on this forum did.  They made it sound like all you needed to do was put $8000 on the first page.  WRONG!
Message 369 of 667
tanisha04
Established Member

I finally closed on my house (10/20/09...woohoo!!!!!!!). I decided to file an amended return despite the troubles most have had on here.

I'll keep the thread posted

Closed on 10/20/09

Mailed my amended 1040, 5405 form, and Hud 1 statement to Fresno, CA via certified mail 10/30/09

And now the waiting game begins.........

Current Cards

Current Fico 9 Scores - May 2023: Equifax - 774 Transunion - 763 Experian - 761
Current Fico 8 Scores - June 2023: Equifax - 737 Transunion - 727 Experian - 738
Message 370 of 667
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.