cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

amended tax return for homebuyer credit...

tag
gpeach
Regular Contributor

Re: amended tax return for homebuyer credit...

Forget exactly when mine was sent. But I did not call until about 5 weeks after I sent it. The first time I called they said it was marked recieved and assigned to somone on the 1-28. They say 16 weeks to everyone. When I called today they said it was processing and started on 2-20. Said to still think 16 weeks but based on activity could possibly be in a few weeks. Was very friendly and said to call back as often as I like. Said they process refunds on Fridays and then systems update over the weekend. I may call next week. I want to have my mail held when I know it is on the way at the post office as I think someone is getting into my mailbox.
Message 591 of 667
myfairlady
Valued Member

I did get my 2009 tax return, took full 3 weeks to process.

I am still waiting since 10/5/09 to recieve the FTHB credit with tax advocate involved rep stated he hopes to have an answer for me by 3/8/10 which would be a total of 21 weeks just for an answer.  I was suppose to be out of exams around the 28th of January.....I'm yet waiting!

Message 592 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be closing on a home purchase at the end of May.  Is there any advantage to waiting to claim the $8,000 credit with my 2010 tax filing, or does it make the most sense to file an amended 2009 filing?

Thanks!

Message 593 of 667
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

Not an amended tax return but I figured I'd post just for tracking purposes and if anyone else is curious. 

I did my 08 and 09 taxes together.   I purchased in 08 and requested the FTHB  (0% loan - 7500) on my 08 taxes. 

Paper claim sent to Kansas City 1st week in Feb.

Post Office shows they got it 2/10 

Called last week still not in system.   They told me it would be processed right along with the 09's and it doesn't matter that this the prior years return.

She stated it would take about 6-8 weeks to get the refund AND FTHB credit and to call back as often as I like to check on the status.

*Bought 1st Home on 7/11/07 thanks to myFICO Forums*

4/2013 - FICO: 685
Payment History: Great
Amt of Debt: Not Good
Length: Good
Amt of New Credit: Good

Goal for 2013: Pay down debt! Cross fingers housing market turns around so I can move further south!

Message 594 of 667
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

I don't think there are any inherent advantages to waiting. It's the same $8K on an amended 2009 as it is on a regular 2010 return, so the time value of money (i.e., present value) says put it in your pocket sooner rather than later.

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll be closing on a home purchase at the end of May.  Is there any advantage to waiting to claim the $8,000 credit with my 2010 tax filing, or does it make the most sense to file an amended 2009 filing?

Thanks!

Message Edited by hawkeye33 on 03-01-2010 12:20 PM
Message 595 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received my check for $8,200 and some change today... Kansas city office definitely has their stuff together. Smiley Happy
Message 596 of 667
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Congrats, kdogg. Hoping that Fresno is at least close to being as on the ball as KC. I've seen a few posts about delays in Fresno, but most of those were several months ago, and it seems Atlanta is the office you want to avoid like the plague. My amendment was mailed 2 days after yours and was certified received on 1/28/10. Patiently waiting...

@Anonymous wrote:
Received my check for $8,200 and some change today... Kansas city office definitely has their stuff together. Smiley Happy

Message 597 of 667
OMIAHEART
New Contributor

I didn't amend my 08 taxes; i ended up claiming the credit for 09.  I sent my taxes off on 1/28...was received by IRS on 2/3.  They just updated their system last night that my return was being processed and i should get my refund around the 6th of April.  Darn did that take a long time!  We shall see if i get it sooner rather than later than the 6th.

I should also mention that they didn't start processing returns with the first time homebuyer credit until the 15th of last month. 

UPDATE...

On March 22nd i recieved a letter from the IRS stating they needed me to either mail or fax a copy of my HUD-1 (which sent with my return!!!) so i faxed it to the Fresno office.  I called back on 4/6 to make sure they recieved the fax and they did.  Gentleman said if they don't need anything further i could expect my return in 4-6 weeks.  I just checked the webite today and now it says if they don't need any further information i should have my check direct deposited by May 11th!  This has been almost a 4 month journey!  I'm really hoping that i get it sooner the the 11th... If anyone else out there has the same "you should recieve by date" and get's theirs sooner please post; i'd be curious to see if other people are having better luck.

Filed BK7 – 2/13 (discharged 5/13) (starting score 586)
myFICO EQ 1/2014: 617
myFICO TU 1/2014: 619
myFICO EX 1/2014: 635
Credit 1 - $500 / Cap 1 Sec. $300 / Cap 1 Quicksilver $1,500
Barclays Apple Card / $1700 / American Gen Loan $5,000
Message 598 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

the IRS received my 09 return February 7th so hopefully by next week, the website will update.

Message 599 of 667
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all!  Here is my timeline

Closed 11/23

Mailed in 2009 Taxes w/fthb on Feb 14th (not sure what date IRS recieved them)

Checked online 3/3 and said it was being processed and if no further info was needed it should be direct deposited on 4/6

Not to bad, I think..that is if nothing else is needed! ; )

UPDATE

Ok..so I am so excited! Just check IRS website to see if any problems had come up with my return (missing forms, ect.)  and  there was a new update but it said.....

Your refund is set to be direct deposited on March 12 2010 and it should the amount..so almost exactly 4 weeks to the day I mailed it off!  Man the Austin office has its stuff together!

Message Edited by RONI78 on 03-10-2010 08:06 AM
Message 600 of 667
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.